Cabela's (Cook County), incurs wrath of gun grabbers.

It's stories like this that makes living in MA not seem so bad after all (of course that feeling is only temporary [smile])...

Cook County Board Poised to Shut Down Cabela's Superstore

CHICAGO, Dec. 9 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following was released
today by the Illinois State Rifle Association (ISRA):

Just weeks after its gala grand opening, the Cabela's superstore in
Hoffman Estates, IL is facing closure by the Cook County (IL) Board. This
impending action stems from a pair of proposed county ordinances
prohibiting the retail sale of firearms at a location 15 miles or less from
any other federally licensed firearm dealer. The proposals further prohibit
retail sale of firearms within one mile of any school, church, place of
worship, nursing home, homeless shelter, public housing, or military
installation. With respect to these restrictions, Cabela's Hoffman Estates
store loses on all counts - as does every other federally-licensed gun
dealer in Cook County.

"This proposal is an election year stunt instigated by Cook County
Commissioner, Larry Suffredin," said ISRA Executive Director, Richard
Pearson. "Although this is something that we'd expect to see from a
gun-control extremist like Suffredin, I'm surprised to see astute
politicians like Commissioners Claypool, Quigley, and Murphy signing on as
co-sponsors to this farce."

"Cabela's Hoffman Estates store employs hundreds of Cook County
residents and brings in millions of sales tax dollars for the County,"
continued Pearson. "If Cabela's cannot sell firearms, then there is no
Cabela's. If there is no Cabela's, then those retail dollars flee to
DuPage, Kane or Will counties. The cash-strapped Cook County treasury
really can't afford such a huge hit just because Larry Suffredin doesn't
like people who own guns."

"From a practical standpoint, Suffredin's proposal is a non-starter,"
commented Pearson. "It bears repeating that the Chicago Police Department
has determined that 88% of murderers have previous criminal records as do
76% of murder victims. Federally-licensed firearm dealers are not the
problem - career criminals are."

"Furthermore", continued Pearson. "When was the last known case where
someone walks out the door of a gun shop, in the door of a nursing home,
and then proceeds to shoot the place up? The same Chicago Police Department
report lists alleyways as being popular places to get murdered. Why then,
did Suffredin not specify that no gun shop could be within one mile of an
alley? The reason is simple - shock value. Suffredin prefers to play on the
plight of our most vulnerable citizens in order to advance his quixotic
campaign to disarm hunters and sportsmen. Commonsense is not part of the
Suffredin lexicon."

"One insidious side-effect of the Suffredin proposal is that it deeply
erodes the home-rule authority of many of the larger communities in Cook
County," noted Pearson.

"The Suffredin proposal is expensive, ineffective, divisive and
impractical," said Pearson. "I hope that Board President Stroger has the
wisdom to immediately reject Suffredin's showboating."

The ISRA is the state's leading advocate of safe, lawful and
responsible firearms ownership. Since 1903, the ISRA has represented the
interests of over 1.5 Million law-abiding Illinois firearm owners.

SOURCE Illinois State Rifle Association

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/12-09-2007/0004719336&EDATE=

I wonder who the genius was that decided to build a store
inside of cook county? That place has been an anti-gun
craphole for a long time now.

Regardless, I hope Cabela's does whatever they can to tell these
cretins to FOAD.

-Mike

The real point is that in order for Cabela's to get their building and zoning permits, they had to jump through a ton of hoops and had to go before a bunch of "boards" to obtain the proper permissions. That took well over a year. Then, they had to apply for their FFL. And, too boot, who the heck didn't know that Cabela's sold firearms??!!

Ludicrous. Simply ludiscrous and transparent. Cabela's will have a field day in the courts if it goes that far.

Rome

Isn't it only Chicago that does that crap? I thought the rest of the state was OK.

1) Chicago has huge power in IL, much the same as NYC in NY. 2) No concealed carry available in IL. 3) A number of other cities in IL ban handguns, including Evanston, Wilmette, Morton Grove, etc.

Makes me very glad I don't live in IL anymore. I lived in Morton Grove for the first 8 years of my life. I don't think I knew what a gun was back then, but damn glad I'm not there anymore. Its the one thing that made me happy about living in MA....every time I say "I hate MA, but it could be worse with CA, IL, or WI."

Work asked me once what it would take to get me out to Santa Clara, CA. My response was "A 250k post-tax bonus." Their response, "No seriously." Mine, "OK, 500k post-tax bonus, buy my house for $350k, and give me free rent, rental car, and $1000/month per diem for food." They came back saying "It's only for a year, we can get you a $75k bonus, but it's before tax." They wouldn't even give me 75k to come back.... I told my boss a group in SC was annoying me trying to get me to leave MA to go work there. They haven't bothered me since.

Its the one thing that made me happy about living in MA....every time I say "I hate MA, but it could be worse with CA, IL, or WI."

Work asked me once what it would take to get me out to Santa Clara, CA. My response was "A 250k post-tax bonus." Their response, "No seriously." Mine, "OK, 500k post-tax bonus, buy my house for $350k, and give me free rent, rental car, and $1000/month per diem for food." They came back saying "It's only for a year, we can get you a $75k bonus, but it's before tax." They wouldn't even give me 75k to come back.... I told my boss a group in SC was annoying me trying to get me to leave MA to go work there. They haven't bothered me since.

I grew up in Evanston and lived in Menlo Park, CA for 4 years. I'd be very willing to go back to either of them.....for a price.

My price would be a salary of $4M per year (which is far, far more than I will ever make). That way, I figure I could bank $1M per year, then retire after 5. I could put up living in those places for just so long...

Seems to me that this would be a legal fight Cabela's would probably be willing to fight, considering that they invested a good amount of money in the new store.

I wonder who the genius was that decided to build a store
inside of cook county? That place has been an anti-gun
craphole for a long time now.

Regardless, I hope Cabela's does whatever they can to tell these
cretins to FOAD.

-Mike

+1 [grin]

"I hate Illinois Nazis" to quote John Belushi in the Blues Brothers. And man, was he right:

Tuesday, May 15, 2007
IL Magazine Battle Heats Up, Moves to House

Illinois SB1007 narrowly passed the State Senate last week. The bill would ban the sale, manufacture or possession of standard-capacity magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. The bill was championed in the senate by Senator Dan Kotowski, a former professional gun-control lobbyist turned legislator who the Illinois State Rifle Association recently named "Gun Grabber of the Year.:

STORY

This bill not only affects the hard-working law-abiding gun owners in the "Land of Lincoln," it would put a stranglehold on several Illinois businesses including:

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY, Geneseo, IL

ARMALITE, Geneseo, IL

ROCK RIVER ARMS, Colona, IL

LEWIS MACHINE TOOL, Milan, IL

LES BAER CUSTOM, Hillsdale, IL

DS ARMS, Barrington, IL

Manufacturers, community leaders and Legislators gathered in Geneseo monday for a press conference to voice their opposition to the bill

STORY

This bill, and others like it, reflects gun control policies that are already in place in Chicago (which has a complete ban on handguns) and have failed miserably. In fact, the City of Chicago, with all it's gun-control measures, has a homicide rate five times that of the rest of the state. It is our viewpoint that your freedom and our jobs are a price too high to pay for feel-good legislation that has a proven track record of failure. Concerned residents of the state are urged to contact their representatives because the vote will be very close. You can find a listing of state legislators HERE

Last edited:
SPRINGFIELD ARMORY, Geneseo, IL

ARMALITE, Geneseo, IL

ROCK RIVER ARMS, Colona, IL

LEWIS MACHINE TOOL, Milan, IL

LES BAER CUSTOM, Hillsdale, IL

DS ARMS, Barrington, IL

Now, when all of those companies leave Illinois, just how much is it going to hurt the state treasury. Because when this passes, they WILL leave the state.

I'm wondering if this might not be a deliberate move by Cabella's to take on the anti's in Chicago. They had to know in advance that this would happen. The legal department for a company that big had to have some idea. This may actually end up being a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom