CA - Off Duty Officer Discharges Firearm On Crowded Pier

An off-duty sheriff's deputy is under investigation for allegedly firing a gun on the crowded Redondo Beach pier during an argument with his girlfriend.

Randy Barragan, 25, of Corona was arrested shortly after 7 p.m. May 24 on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, Redondo Beach police Sgt. Shawn Freeman said Tuesday.

The shooting and disturbance caused about 100 people to scatter "in a state of panic" from the horseshoe pier, Freeman said.

According to police, Barragan and his girlfriend, Diana Claudette Rubio, 23, also of Corona, had been drinking at El Torito and eating at Capt. Kidd's restaurant before becoming involved in a dispute on the pier.

Witnesses told police they believed Barragan was suicidal because he had climbed over the pier's east railing and was standing on a ledge, Freeman said.

"People are thinking this guy is jumping off the pier," Freeman said.

As officers made their way to the pier, witnesses saw Barragan pull a .38-caliber revolver from his
waistband and begin waving it as he hung on the railing, Freeman said.

Rubio yelled at him to put the gun down, but Barragan fired one shot. Freeman said it was unclear where he pointed the gun.

Rubio then knocked the gun out of his hand. It fell behind him onto the pier, prompting Barragan to climb back over the railing and try to get to it.

"That's when the citizens took action," Freeman said.

A group of fishermen tackled the 6-foot, 180 pound Barragan before he could grab the gun.

They held Barragan down until Redondo Beach police Sgt. Jim Banach, who heard the shot as he ran along the pier, arrived to handcuff him.

Barragan was taken to the Redondo Beach jail. He posted $50,000 bail and was released about six hours later.

Rubio, described as "too drunk for her safety," was arrested on suspicion of public intoxication, Freeman said.....

20100608_120111_Randy_Barragan_300.jpg

http://www.dailybreeze.com/latestnews/ci_15251677

An off-duty sheriff's deputy is under investigation for allegedly firing a gun on the crowded Redondo Beach pier during an argument with his girlfriend.
Residents of his county must surely be glad he got weeded out quickly...

You can always tell by the eyes!
Brains not working correctly with the rest of the body!

Good thing concealed carry is so limited in Cali. I mean, otherwise some unstable person might be carrying a piece!

Barragan was taken to the Redondo Beach jail. He posted $50,000 bail and was released about six hours later.

I'm going to guess that he posted that $50,000 bail with the aid of a bail bondsman, and the newspaper just screwed up the facts. Otherwise that sheriff's office (the story doesn't say which county) must have some of the highest paid deputies in the US. [shocked]

haha, would not be surprised if many of our LEOs, especially MSP and Boston Police, had $50K burning a hole in their pockets. Don't know how well they are paid in California but it can't be quite as good as here, thats for sure.

Detail OT anyone?

Seriously, what kind of mug shot is that? I doubt they'd let a regular citizen distort their features like that. Thin blue line, or just incompetent?

Seriously, what kind of mug shot is that? I doubt they'd let a regular citizen distort their features like that. Thin blue line, or just incompetent?

I had not thought of that. If a person in custody refuses to have a "normal" pic taken, do the officers keep taking pics until they get one?

Ok...the guy is from Corona, CA as well as his girlfriend. NUFF said. I lived in LA for 12 years and Corona is basically Holyoke.

"Only ones"

What, the "only ones" who get arrested for being stupid with guns? [rolleyes]

I had not thought of that. If a person in custody refuses to have a "normal" pic taken, do the officers keep taking pics until they get one?

Browse through The Smoking Gun archives, not everyone plays nicey-nice for the camera.

Here's some faces.http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2010/0108102mugs1.html

Back
Top Bottom