C3 Suggestions

Hi All,

I'm just getting into MG's and I have been looking around for my first one....I would LOVE to have a Colt M-16, but the prices are sky high. I looked on the web at a SWD Max-11 with a lage kit which fires 9mm. I'm partial to .223....Do any of you experienced folks have time to "coach" me in the right direction?

I have a Class 03 and I also have a C&R

Thankx

I take it that you are in Mass and have the "Green card". If you sign up for and come to the NES shoot at Monadnock, you will see subguns in 9 mm and .45 auto and maybe .223 If you bring ammo or obtain it there, the folks with the NFA stuff will let you try out the various toys. Remember that once you get into the NFA stuff you'll never go back to women! Jack.

Cant go wrong with a "Lage'd" M11 for a first MG...

My other advise though is to always buy the most expensive MG you can afford at that time...IE if you can "sqeek" a $10K M16 now get it, because it will probably be easier to "squeek" that $10K 16 now than it willas a $15K 16 in a couple years...

I'd also suggest spending some time on the boards at subguns.com loads of good MG guys over there with lots of experience, for local questions don't be afraid to visit www.northeastmachinegunfun.com , more localized info there than on subguns...

Also check out www.Uzitalk.com they have different sections for most common MG's. The m-11 wiht the Lage upper is a great set up, there is also a nice new .22 conversion that is either recent or will be released soon. I have an uzi, bought it for the flexability to go from .22 to 9mm to .45. But I think for the best flexability the M-16 Platform might be the ultimate, Althought I have heard that a R.D.I.A.S. (Registerd Drop In Auto Sear) for the AR-15 might be even a better option as far as the ultimate flexability. It drops into most common AR's but will also work in the M.G.I Modular Lowers.

Bundi,

I do have a Bushmaster and may consider that..What licenses (if any) and what parts would I need to convert it?

It is really hard to go wrong with an M16. If you have the money, This is where I would suggest you put it. If you get the reg lower there is a real lot you can do with it. Obviously, 223 in various configs. But with the reg rcvr, you can also go with a 9mm upper and mag block, as well as numerous other calibers and uppers. They are only going to get more expensive.

M11s are cheap and fun and there is a lot you can do there. Out of the box they are pretty much just a bullet hose. A slow fire kit or a change of uppers is probably in order. pair this with a reasonably good stock and you have a pretty nice shooter.

I'd also suggest you look at Stemple 76/45 as well as Uzis. As long as you get a RR Uzi, you can do caliber swaps to 9/45/41/22. They are well made, great shooters (not too fast) parts are cheap and available.

Lots of folks turn their nose up at the Reisings, but they are at the lower end of the price range and fire from a closed bolt so you can actually hit things in semi. I have a couple and will bring them to the Monadnock shoot. Jack.

Welcome aboard the NFA machine gun train.

If money is an issue and you really want a 5.56 get a Ruger AC-556. Its essentially a select fire Mini 14. That was my first MG and it is still without a doubt my favorite one too. I have an M16, an Uzi 9mm, a MAC10 in .45 and then of course the Ruger. You can grab a Ruger AC556 for around 5 or 6K and the M16 will run you 10K and over depending on what you want. The MACs you can snag for 3K and over. The Uzis go for 6K an over.

I agree with Securityboy as far as get what you want and if an M16 is what you want go for it, however I am sure you would also love a Ruger AC-556. I love mine.

Jack, when and where is the Monadnock shoot? I would love to go and bring my toys.

Good luck in your search.

Rob

+1 on the Ruger Ac556, It was first as well. You can get a folder or a full stock and they do rock in 5.56. Best thing, if you need service or want an overhaul, send her back to Ruger! Sort of like sending a Glock back for a refurb, without filing a Form 5 of course!

Thankx for all the suggestions. One other question...What would you pay for a M-11 lower only in overall good condition?

+1 on the Ruger Ac556, It was first as well. You can get a folder or a full stock and they do rock in 5.56. Best thing, if you need service or want an overhaul, send her back to Ruger! Sort of like sending a Glock back for a refurb, without filing a Form 5 of course!

thats a good point to mention too about the Ruger. If something goes wrong with it just ship it up to Newport, NH and they will fix it and in a lot of cases........ for free. I shipped mine up last year for an inspection and they replaced a whole bunch of parts and did not charge me a dime. GREAT company.
If you ever did decide to go with a Ruger AC-556 you will want to grab some factory mags in 20 or 30rd. They work the best.

Rob

Thankx SecBoy...

I have a lead on a good deal for a m11 lower...the person wants $300 more with a new upper....Is this a fair price...Where can I go to see if I can get the upper cheaper
AND....does it make sense to even get an upper if i'm going with a Lage kit...Resale and the likes????

FWIW... This just sounds cludgy to me. Why would somebody have only the lower? If they swapped the upper for something better where is the orig?
Did the orig blow up at some point?
But, if it were me, I would buy it with the upper, But only AFTER the seller has demonstrated that the gun runs ok.

And if it's a problem, I would look for another M11 at a different seller. This just sounds wierd to me.

It sounds a bit weird, but having said that, I have met many C3 dealers who do have a bunch of receivers or frames for M10 and M11 's just hanging around.....

Thankx SecBoy...

I have a lead on a good deal for a m11 lower...the person wants $300 more with a new upper....Is this a fair price...Where can I go to see if I can get the upper cheaper
AND....does it make sense to even get an upper if i'm going with a Lage kit...Resale and the likes????

Well 2 things...
1. if it is an actual "stripped" lower (ie not internal parts in addition to no upper) then yes if he'd sell you a "complete" gun for $300 that sound alright. "MAC in a Bag" (all parts but reciever) I probably run in the 400 range in todays market.

2. if it is a "complete" lower, I'd say no to the 300 upper, especially if you plan to "LAGE" it. Lage uppers run just under 800, put that 300 towards your lage or more ammo...

Well 2 things...
2. if it is a "complete" lower, I'd say no to the 300 upper, especially if you plan to "LAGE" it. Lage uppers run just under 800, put that 300 towards your lage or more ammo...

Just a suggestion.. If it were me, and if the dealer has a bunch of M11s around, I would need a demonstration of function before buying.

Having been burned in the past, I would err on the side of extreme caution.

For a MG, I would definitely have to recommend the Ruger AC556F (short barrel, folding stock) if you are into recreational shooting. Best of all it is one of the few Factory produced machine guns still available with Factory support (as mentioned by several others already). You can buy two of them for what a quality M-16 will cost you. As for values continuing to go up, I'll leave that to speculation. They could just as easily go down if transfer taxes and greater restrictions are placed on ownership of transferable NFA.

Most importantly you need to decide what do you want the gun for. Whether it be a safe queen (and hopeful investment), competition and something you can target shoot at indoor ranges that allow it, or a gun that attracts attention by creating a fireball and eating ammo "real fast". My suggestion is a SMG over a MG; costs of gun, ammo, and versatility of the gun. Beware of junk. I wouldn't buy unless I knew the seller or could personally inspect the gun, and if it is a "shooter", you should be given the opportunity to shoot it if you provide good, clean Factory ammo (at least I would offer such to any serious buyer).

Back
Top Bottom