C&R pistol question

Nope, sorry.

Chap 529 Sec 33.

"no person may purchase or receive any pistol or revolver unless such person holds a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection (b) of section 29-28..."

I see that you mentioned J&G sales. This may not apply to you in CT but J&G told me last week that they couldn't ship a C&R CZ82 to me in Ma. even though I have a C&R license. They said it had to go to an 01FFL. Just a heads up for those of us stuck in this lovely state. They're not the only ones folks. It's getting tougher.

If you have a C&R and a pistol permit you can have C&R eligible pistols shipped to you directly (In CT).

ya but how would the seller (in this case J&G sales) know that I do or dont have a pistol permit, if it is a C&R and they ship those directly to your door? They probably wont send it anyway because Im sure they are fimilar with the laws of CT; I know they didnt want to send my AK-74 I bought from them a month ago to CT without checking with a FFL before. I was lucky and they sent it though.

from email sent by J&G sales:

"Sir,
We will ship C&R weapons to C&R license holders in Connecticut.

J&G Sales

Hi, I was wondering if you ship C&R pistols directly to C&R collectors' doors in Connecticut?

An example from your website:

CZ-82 Czech 9x18 Makarov Military pistol, Very Good condition, one mag. C&R

thank you."

pretty vague, but I might try it.

I have a problem with this issue as a C&R holder. According to 29-33 (sale statute), it looks like there should be paperwork invloved ?(dps-3 and the affidavit form that I can't remember the name of); the wholesalers probably won't do that. Collectors ARE exempt from needing an authorization number under 29-36l subsec. (f). I called the SLFU on this before, I was told they might have to register me as a "dealer", but I never heard back.

from email sent by J&G sales:

"Sir,
We will ship C&R weapons to C&R license holders in Connecticut.

J&G Sales

Hi, I was wondering if you ship C&R pistols directly to C&R collectors' doors in Connecticut?

An example from your website:

CZ-82 Czech 9x18 Makarov Military pistol, Very Good condition, one mag. C&R

thank you."

pretty vague, but I might try it.

It is still your responsibility to be in compliance with CT laws even if they will ship to you.
There is no vagueness in CT law.
Which part of Chap 529 Sec 33.
"no person may purchase or receive any pistol or revolver unless such person holds a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection (b) of section 29-28..."

don't you understand???

Look, even if was planning to commit a felony by illegally buying a gun in this state like you have indicated above, I wouldn't write about it on the internet.
I also think its in violation of this forum's use policies.

I have a problem with this issue as a C&R holder. According to 29-33 (sale statute), it looks like there should be paperwork invloved ?(dps-3 and the affidavit form that I can't remember the name of); the wholesalers probably won't do that. Collectors ARE exempt from needing an authorization number under 29-36l subsec. (f). I called the SLFU on this before, I was told they might have to register me as a "dealer", but I never heard back.

Can you cite a specific statute? Thanks.

A "dealer" is someone who holds an "02 FFL. Not an "03" ffl. If the OP likes guns, he should just step up to the
plate and get a pistol permit. Of if he's going to attempt an end run around the law for the sake of having a gun in the home. (which in and of itself I have not problem with) he should keep it to himself.

Last edited:
The part where they said
" they might have to register me as a "dealer", but I never heard back."

Your citations are more rigorous than all the people I've encountered here. Myself included. I should have been clearer. This was some bureaucrat (or cop) speaking off the cuff.
Where is the statute that says they need to "register you as a dealer".

It doesn't exist. I was trying to highlight that it sounded like you were talking to someone without a firm grasp of the law.

I worked as a project manager in a fortune 50 company for several years. I would often run into people who would say to me "you have to do it this way, its company policy".
I was venting my frustration to my boss one day and she said to me "Oh they're full of sh&t, next time someone says that ask them to show you the policy. Fortunately
this company had an intranet based policy viewer. Over the next several years I found that most "official policies" were nothing of the sort. Someone decided that was how they wanted
something done and it magically became policy.

This happens in state government. We only need to look to the fact that you need to provide a passport or birth certificate when renewing your CT pistol permit. This is not in the statutes. In fact someone
(his name evaded me now) took it to the mat on this one and ended up not being able to renew his permit. The crazy thing is that he was on the CT board of firearms permit examiners.

A pistol student of mine was told by a state trooper that it was illegal for him to carry his handgun concealed in his car.

So where is all this going? If the state can't give you a straight answer and you have a C&R, buy the gun. There is no law restricting it.

That is assuming that you DO have a pistol permit. Here the law is crystal clear:

Agreed. I am not a dealer at all. The suggestion of that came from what I believe to be the SLFU's need (wish) to account for guns coming in or going out of state, I guess. I don't know if such lack of clarity with other hobbies...maybe guns are just prone to confusion. I want to get C&R lincese holder included in the other transfer statue; its already in the authorization number statute.

I don't know what you mean by "dealer". This is an important item. A type 2 FFL is a dealer license, and holders of this license are often referred to as "dealers".
A a type 3 FFL is a C&R. The holder of this type of FFL is a federally licensed "collector".

This is per federal law. Often state laws make reference to gun "dealer"s. This refers to a type 2 ffl, not a Type 3.
Don

search for curio and relic or 03FFL. Basically you can obtain C&R guns via the mail to your door with this license. You may not be an active dealer, rather a collector of firearms over 50 years old and on the C&R list. You have to keep a bound book to track all transactions, and you must comply with all local state laws. There are other details to this, but that is a very high level overview. With all the WWI, WWII, Eastern Europe surplus floating around, this license makes collecting these kinds of firearms easy - and you get discounts at some dealers.

You get a dealer discount at Brownells which is great.
Midway's discount is not worth it and actually works against you in some cases.

You can also get a discount from many other small vendors.

Back
Top Bottom