C&R app in the mail, had to cancel card due to fradulant charge

SJan

NES Member
Came home last night and had a message on the answering machine about an attempted charge on my credit card. They also sent an email... Just got off the phone, they will credit the amount in question and they will be cancelling the card, and sending a new card with new number.

This card is used for lots of stuff everywhere, gas, food, online purchases ect and the balance is paid each month. I have no idea where the fraud came from. The card never left my possession.

I sent in an application for C&R license a few weeks ago with this card as payment. Now that this card has been cancelled, What can I do about that?

I checked my statement online, they have not billed me yet.
Thanks for the link, I'll assume nobody will be there on the weekend and call on Monday

Was it Discover by any chance? I also had a message when I got home from work yesterday that someone had gotten my #. They used it at "mosely?" for a dollar, after it went through they charged a bunch of stuff on itunes. I only use this card for firearms and related items.

This is actually pretty common. They start with a dollar charge some where and if it goes through, sky's the limit. Your CC info could have been gotten anywhere. All vendors retain a copy of your number. There was a case of a waitress that was coping numbers off of the carbon copy of restaurant receipts.

I simply avoid using a CC in public places and my bank offers a secure "one time" number for online purchases. Cash for everything else.

I learned my lesson when some AHole purchased $3600 worth of concert tickets in LA on my CC.

Someone may have intercepted the application, thus getting your cc info?

This is a possibility.

It was used at some ranch in Arizona for $47 and change

Hopefully when I call the Federal Firearms Licensing Center I can talk to somebody helpful and find out if they have received my application or not and go from there.

i have my amex setup that if my cc is used without card being present, or over a certain amount that it emails me right away. I bought something in a store for 300 and my bb went off with an email alerting me to the purchase before i left the store.

Back
Top Bottom