Buying/Selling a pistol

If I sell a pistol to another non-FFL holder, I have to have my local FFL holder transfer the pistol to another FFL holder for the buyer to pick up. My question is, do both parties have to pay their FFL holders for the transfer? I know every shop is different, but usually, what is done?

If I sell a pistol to another non-FFL holder, I have to have my local FFL holder transfer the pistol to another FFL holder for the buyer to pick up. My question is, do both parties have to pay their FFL holders for the transfer? I know every shop is different, but usually, what is done?

No you don't, actually. You just find an FFL on their end that can take shipments from individuals. It is legal as long as the buyer gets a transfer
from a dealer. (I'm assuming you're going across state lines, here. )

If you need to move the gun across two dealers for whatever reason, there will likely be two transfer fees, plus whatever the shipping costs are. This also depends
on the dealer. If you are using one dealer to ship the gun the sending dealer might not charge you for a full blown transfer since an outbound transfer is not as much
paperwork.

-Mike

When the gun is sent to the buyer's FFL, please make sure there is something inside the package to indicate for whom the gun is being sent, along with contact information. It drives dealers nuts when a gun just shows up with no clue as to who its for or how to contact them.

Right, but the question stands.... If the buyer is in another state do both parties have to pay transfer fees?

No. Typically only the buyer will pay transfer fees. But if the seller wants to ship the gun from their local FFL instead of shipping/delivering it directly to the remote FFL (perhaps at the insistence of the remote FFL), the local FFL will likely charge you a handling fee.

depends on the situation, If the FFL in the buyers state will accept a "common carrier" shipment from a non FFL, then there is only one fee and you can stipulate in the sale the buyer pays it, but the shipping charges are going to be steep, probably more than a FFL in NH would charge you to handle the transaction.

You ask why?

Because a FFL can ship a handgun via U S Mail, where you and I can only send long arms via the U S Postal Service. If the NH FFL ships it Priority or Express mail, and hits you for a reasonable fee, chances are you are still ahead of the game money wise when you count U.P.S. overnight shipping, which is the only way they will ship it, AND the time it would take you to bring it to a shipping depot. You can't ship a handgun UPS from a retail location.

So If you ship it UPS to a FFL, you are going to get hit maybe 60 bucks and your time, where a FFL on your end might do it for 30 bucks and shipping.

The guy buying the gun pays his FFL their fee for their work, which includes the background check, form 4473, and in MA a FA-10 IIRC.

you can always stipulate the buyer pays ALL FFL and shipping costs, including your FFL fee.

Last edited:
you haven't even gotten to the point of trying to find a NH FFL who will ship into MA.

Wait til you see how much fun that is!

Back
Top Bottom