buying ammo online (hazmat charge?)

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
I have always bought my ammo at stores only because I was always under the impression that companies that shipped ammo had to tack on a "hazmat" charge.

Light dawned on marble head the other day when I read on another site that there are no Hazmat charges for ammo shipped (or shouldn't be as long as said ammo is shipped ground), only primers and powder are charged hazardous fees (go figure...aren't those some of the components used in ammo??? [thinking]).

So I started to do a little research of my own and found that there seems to be a lot of misinformation out there....some said that a hazmat charge was normal on ammo shipped and others called them crazy....then there were those that seemed confused and somewhere in the middle...

So ask all you sages out there...what is your take on this? I don't want to know who ships the ammo sans hazmat charges (that will get the thread locked)...I just want to know who's right?

There are some pretty good deals out there on ammo shipped but not if I have to pay extra charges above and beyond the normal shipping charges.

If this has been discussed elsewhere ad nauseum, forgive me and point me to the thread/s. I couldn't find anything that dicussed this specifically.

There is no hazmat charge on loaded ammunition. There is a hazmat charge for powder and primers.

I have always just paid UPS ground shipping, no hazmat. Shipping on a 1000 round case of pistol ammo runs around $15-18 and shipping on a crate of surplus ammo usually runs around $26.

God, I'm glad to hear you guys say this...I'm putting an order in tomorrow!

It is technically dangerous goods but most often ships as a ORM-D Consumer Quantity, (other regulated materials for domestic shipping). With that marking they get handled like most other packages whereas with other dangerous goods the carrier may require next day shipping and there's something like a $75 DG fee tacked on.

If you reuse the box be sure to take the ORM-D sticker off prior to shipping.

Last edited:
OP must be talking about large caliber ammo. Just picked up 550 rounds of .22 cal LR and it worked out to .03 cents a round. Not sure it can get any cheaper and I like supporting my local shop.

OP must be talking about large caliber ammo. Just picked up 550 rounds of .22 cal LR and it worked out to .03 cents a round. Not sure it can get any cheaper and I like supporting my local shop.

I'm talking about mostly pistol; 9x18, 45acp, 38/357mag but also for my AR .223/5.56. I reload alot but there are some prices, especially on 9x18 that look to be cheaper online, even with the shipping charges. I need to confirm that but I can't buy 9x18 without driving two hours round trip and then it's 3-4 dollars more per box on the shelf then I can buy online...you total all that up and it is easier and cheaper to go the online route.

I love supporting my local shop when I can and I do, but an hour away isn't exactly a local shop.

Both UPS and FedEx rewrote their Tariffs July 2012 and I already got one big surprise (might have been that way for a while, unsure), so I won't tell you what they do as of today. I can only speak as of a few months ago.

UPS Ground for ammo was labeled ORM-D, Small Arms Ammunition (required by Feds) with NO additional fees over weight-based shipping charges.

In reading the latest Tariffs wrt shipping guns, I noted they used the term "explosive" wrt ammo in some of the text but I didn't follow it to see if they now insist on any additional changes or charges.

whereas with other dangerous goods the carrier may require next day shipping and there's something like a $75 DG fee tacked on.

If you reuse the box be sure to take the ORM-D sticker off prior to shipping.
Actually, it CANNOT go next day with UPS (and probably other carriers) as ORM-D must go ground.

I've never paid hazmat on loaded ammo, not even when shipped inside MA. Bulk powder and / or primers: yes; loaded ammo: no.

Actually, it CANNOT go next day with UPS (and probably other carriers) as ORM-D must go ground.

Incorrect. ORM-D / consumer quantities / limited quantities CAN be shipped by air. You will get charged the DG paperwork fee so you may not WANT to do that and the shipper may not offer this option to avoid the paperwork and inspections by the FAA. Yet, if you need the item bad enough it can be done.

ORM-D covers a lot more than AMMO. Some can be shipped AIR and some can not. Ammo is NOT classified as Consumer Commodity, it has it own classification and is supposed to be labeled small arms ammunition.

ORM-D covers a lot more than AMMO.

Yes it does.

Some can be shipped AIR and some can not.

Correct. All regulations have their limits, like you can't ship your 20 mm cartridges air.

Ammo is NOT classified as Consumer Commodity, it has it own classification and is supposed to be labeled small arms ammunition.

Not quite. It can be shipped as a limited [consumer] quantity to avoid the haz mat fees. And most LQs require the proper shipping name now since the US adopted the international standard. Which the ORM-D tag is going away (gone?) the LQ diamond is the preferred marking.

Page 83

http://images.fedex.com/us/services/pdf/HazmatShippingGuide.pdf

(b) Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices. (1) Cartridges, small
arms, and cartridges power devices (which are used to project fastening devices)
which have been classed as a Division 1.4S explosive may be reclassed, offered
for transportation, and transported as ORM–D material when packaged in
accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section. For transportation by aircraft,
the package must also comply with the applicable requirements of §173.27 of
this subchapter. Such transportation is excepted from the requirements of
subparts E (Labeling) and F (Placarding) of part 172 of this subchapter.
Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as
ORM–D material are limited to:

(i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol or shotgun;
(ii) Ammunition with inert projectiles or blank ammunition;
(iii) Ammunition having no tear gas, incendiary, or detonating explosive
projectiles;
(iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol,
cartridges or 8 gauge for shotshells; and
(v) Cartridges, power devices which are used to project fastening devices.

More info that the OP ever wanted to know, lol
[horse]

Last edited:
I've ordered ammo online a bunch of times - always UPS ground, no hazmat fee. It comes with a sticker like this on the box:

Cartridges-Small-Arms-ORM-Label-D1893.gif

Maybe someone can debunk this but I heard not too long ago that DOT or EPA or some other waste of funds is reclassifying ammo as hazmat, starting sometime next year hazmat charges will have to be applied to ammo shipments similar to how they are added to stuff like powder or flares currently.

Anyone else hear this? Someone want to flex their Google-Fu?

Maybe someone can debunk this but I heard not too long ago that DOT or EPA or some other waste of funds is reclassifying ammo as hazmat, starting sometime next year hazmat charges will have to be applied to ammo shipments similar to how they are added to stuff like powder or flares currently.

Anyone else hear this? Someone want to flex their Google-Fu?

You're probably thinking of the transition from the ORM-D to the Limited Quantity standard, which is what the rest of the world uses. In this adoption of the international standard there was concern that certain items would be thrown out of the exception. I don't know all the details but from what I understand ammo can still be part of the exemption.

So just to be clear, anything with ORM-D or the new LQ sticker IS in fact dangerous goods (aka HazMat), it just has less requirements and therefore shippers don't typically charge a DG handling fee.

googling turns up this, which if you just read the headline I can see how these rumors get started

Elimination of ORM-D Classification

In an attempt to harmonize and align with international standards, the DOT has amended the 49CFR regulations regarding the ORM-D classification. Effective January 19, 2011, with the publication of the HM-215K final rule, the hazard class of ORM-D is being eliminated. Those materials may still be shipped classified as a limited quantity (ltd qty). In conjunction with ORM-D hazard class elimination in HM-215K, limited quantity ground shipments will no longer require shipping papers when prepared under the new rule. This includes those materials previously classed as ltd qty that required shipping papers via ground transport.

There is a transition period for shippers to comply with the new classification, marking and labeling requirements. Until December 31, 2013 a limited quantity package containing a consumer commodity as defined in 171.8 may be reclassed as ORM-D, or until December 31, 2012 for ORM-D-Air material. UPS began accepting materials with the new markings effective April 1, 2011. See examples of the new ground and air limited quantity markings below that will be replacing the ORM-D and ORM-D-Air markings.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/hazardous/new_requirements.html

No hazmat charges on any ammo I have bought online.

But some sites do offer free shipping if you buy a case...

But don't ask.

I live in RI, and can get ammunition shipped to my house (at least for now). Last week, placed an order for 600 rounds of .30-06...no Hazmat. I only pay Hazmat on primers & powder.

I have been on many sites that state the CAN NOT sell ammo shipping to Massachusetts.

They're wrong, it would be more accurate for them to say the are not willing to ship ammo to MA. They have made a business decision, and that's fine, but it is disingenuous of them to claim that it is illegal.

They're wrong, it would be more accurate for them to say the are not willing to ship ammo to MA. They have made a business decision, and that's fine, but it is disingenuous of them to claim that it is illegal.

Any good sites you can recommend that ARE willing to ship to Massachusetts? Mainly .22Lr, 9mm. .38 spec. & .357 magnum. interested MORE in Carry Ammo seeing how target ammo seems to easier to find around here.

Thanks

I have always bought my ammo at stores only because I was always under the impression that companies that shipped ammo had to tack on a "hazmat" charge.

Light dawned on marble head the other day when I read on another site that there are no Hazmat charges for ammo shipped (or shouldn't be as long as said ammo is shipped ground), only primers and powder are charged hazardous fees (go figure...aren't those some of the components used in ammo??? [thinking]).

So I started to do a little research of my own and found that there seems to be a lot of misinformation out there....some said that a hazmat charge was normal on ammo shipped and others called them crazy....then there were those that seemed confused and somewhere in the middle...

So ask all you sages out there...what is your take on this? I don't want to know who ships the ammo sans hazmat charges (that will get the thread locked). There are some pretty good deals out there on ammo shipped but not if I have to pay extra charges above and beyond the normal shipping charges.

If this has been discussed elsewhere ad nauseum, forgive me and point me to the thread/s. I couldn't find anything that dicussed this specifically.

Any good sites you can recommend that ARE willing to ship to Massachusetts?

That question will get this thread locked...as the OP, that wasn't my intention...

Last edited:
I find it a bit easier to find free state friends who can have ammo shipped with no problem.....my nh buddy takes my orders through out the year and drops off when he comes through to see his family. Cost me nothing more than a little range time with him.

If they start a hazmat fee I will order my ammo in largest quantity under one fee. Like powder and primers.

Exactly. But try explaining that to them.
http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/ammoinfo.html

I suspect that they do enough local business and do not want to worry about doing the MA state paperwork.

Back
Top Bottom