Buying a new rifle for NRA high-power

What would be a good lower for my next purchase?
Right now I have a bushmaster Lower with a white Oaks arms upper.
Should I buy a complete AR , or should I just get a lower and another White Oaks upper ?

get a WOA upper. why handicap yourself? you've done quite well this year.

lower: anything will work. if its sloppy, drill and tap the lower like I did (well, mikey did it for me) to take up any extra slop in the upper/lower.

Stick with the WOA upper. No need to experiment with something else. The two most important parts are the barrel and the trigger. The WOA upper takes care of the barrel and you already know to get another Geissele trigger.
Any lower will do. I use Stag's because that is what my local shop usually has in for stripped lowers. I've used Stag, Bushmaster, Rock River, and Olympic. Don't use Olympic.

Of course right now, you might be very limited on what you can get your hands on.

Stick with the WOA upper. No need to experiment with something else. The two most important parts are the barrel and the trigger. The WOA upper takes care of the barrel and you already know to get another Geissele trigger.
Any lower will do. I use Stag's because that is what my local shop usually has in for stripped lowers. I've used Stag, Bushmaster, Rock River, and Olympic. Don't use Olympic.

Of course right now, you might be very limited on what you can get your hands on.

My friend has a Colt heavy barrel 20''. He is unable to use it anymore.
Would a WOA barrel and a new trigger do the trick?

add a WOA float tube
and have john rebuild and pin the sights
add an adjustable front sight base

you're already more than halfway through the cost of a complete upper. unless its free, I'd stick with WOA

What twist on the barrel? If it's 1-7, it might be a good shooter or it might not. Colt barrels are funny that way; you don't know till you shoot them.
Like Jeff said: at a minimum, you'll need a float tube ($100+), a trigger ($180-$280), and a rear sight ($100-$150). So you are at $300 minimum over what you will pay for the rifle to get it ready for competition, and that's only if you don't need a new barrel , and that's a big IF. Assume a re-barrel and you are over $500. You'd have to get the rifle for $500 to have it make any financial sense.

What twist on the barrel? If it's 1-7, it might be a good shooter or it might not. Colt barrels are funny that way; you don't know till you shoot them.
Like Jeff said: at a minimum, you'll need a float tube ($100+), a trigger ($180-$280), and a rear sight ($100-$150). So you are at $300 minimum over what you will pay for the rifle to get it ready for competition, and that's only if you don't need a new barrel , and that's a big IF. Assume a re-barrel and you are over $500. You'd have to get the rifle for $500 to have it make any financial sense.

With all the BS lately, I was just thinking of buying it just to havea spare [thinking]

I use cheap Delaware Machinery lowers from a group buy that we did here a couple years ago. The lower really doesn't matter.

What's wrong with Olympic?
To be honest, probably nothing, but, I had one that I got in trade quite a few years ago. It was pretty sloppy looking; brand stamp was not square, finish looked like it was put on with a paint roller, and I never could get a trigger to work in it quite as well as I could any other lower I had. Maybe I got a bad one, but I'll never go out and buy one again.

Back
Top Bottom