• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

burr from staked primers

On the m855 style 5.56 where the primers crimped with 4 kind of little "stakes" around the pocket, sometimes when I swage these I get pretty big burrs raised off the base of the cartridge. This screws up AOL measurements and could presumably cause headspace issues although I haven't knowingly encountered any. Anyone else seen this happen?

I once used a Dillon "Super Swage" but gave up and moved on to a counter sink. This will do a better job than a swager and remove the burrs.

I sold my swager after one use. Weldon countersink from EC is the go to in a drill press.

Took Eddies advice as well and got the Weldon DB 18 bit. Will never bother with a swager again. The bit does a better job and is much much faster. I found mine online, Amazon I think, for 9.00 shipped.

On the m855 style 5.56 where the primers crimped with 4 kind of little "stakes" around the pocket, sometimes when I swage these I get pretty big burrs raised off the base of the cartridge. This screws up AOL measurements and could presumably cause headspace issues although I haven't knowingly encountered any. Anyone else seen this happen?

The burr just smashes down as the bolt closes[grin]. I've always used the Dillon and had good luck with it but never found many 3 or 4 staked pockets. I have to think that in getting the burrs out with a countersink, you would have to chamfer too deep to get them all if they were raised up very high..

I once toyed with the idea of making a 3 stake tool and staking my loose primer pockets to get one last use out of them. Would come in handy when shooing where brass retrieval is not always possible. Sort of like loading those pesky small primer pocketed .45 cases to shoot at a IDPA match so they can be left for the next guy...

I get the burrs (SS600) but never give them a second thought when making plinking ammo. I don't use once-fired cases for precision ammo because the lengths are sometimes shorter than my trim length (1.750" on 223).

Back
Top Bottom