bullseye .22Ruger Mark III or S&W Model .22

I might try bullseye competition for some fun. If nothing else I'll use it for plinking.

Seems like everyone is shooting the Mark III. Is the S&W worth considering, or should I just go with the Riguer?

I'm not going to spend the $$$ for S&W 41, I'm sure the Ruger is far more accurate than I am. Just considering the S&W 22 since it's about the same price as a used Ruger.

Thanks for any feedback.

If you're referring to the 22a, there's only one that's MA compliant now. That's the one with the wood grips and the bull barrel.
You can posess any of the 22a's, but only the one I mentioned above is able to be sold by a dealer.
The Ruger has a reputation for being hard to break down for the first few times.
I've been told both are great.

You can get the ruger mkIII 5.5" bull barrel blued for ~$300 before tax. There are a lot more aftermarket parts like grips & triggers for the ruger. I started shooting in the Nashoba Valley Pistol Leage (NVPL) for Westford and that's what I shoot.

Don't let Becka or Roadblock tell you they're too difficult to break down [wink]

Cool, I'll double check what's in the package as far as magazines, etc. of the 22a new and compare to the Ruger that's available used and will go with the cheaper one.

22A is more of a plinker - I think the Ruger is a better target gun, and it would be many years before you could outshoot it - I'd get the Ruger - If you do get it, make sure you choose the one that has the ability to replace the grips

You see many Rugers on the line at Bullseye matches everywhere - even in the hands of very good shooters who could afford fancier equipment if they wanted to, but very few of the Smiths. Must be a reason.

there are some Smith model 41's on the line, more and more Pardini's

as well as MKIII's. there is a video on youtube regarding disassembly
of the MKIII, its ice cream...

JimB

there are some Smith model 41's on the line, more and more Pardini's

Yes, of course, lots of M41s everywhere - I was referring to the M22A, which is what the OP was asking about.

I've been shooting Walther GSPs (one in .22 and one in .32 S&W) in competition for the last few years, but I'm getting increasingly more interested in the Pardinis, which have been popular on the Bullseye circuit for some time. The GSP has a very upright grip angle, something like a 1911, while the Pardini has more of a "dropped wrist" grip. I picked up a Steyr LP50 air pistol for practicing in my basement a couple years ago and it also has the more acute grip angle and I find I can shoot it very, very well. So I'm thinking maybe I could add a few points to my league average with the Pardini (or maybe not - hope springs eternal). The new Walther SSP has an adjustable grip angle, but the optical sight mounting options are few and clumsy, which decreases my interest in going that way. Of course, new Walthers and Pardinis aren't available here in the Peoples' Republic. Right. [wink]

Start weightlifting. The Ruger MKIII bull barrel is quite heavy after a few shots. I don't know about anyone else but I feel my whole upper body start to shake a bit after 10-15 rds.

I'd have to weigh it but the standard MKIII 5.5" bull with red dot scope has to be close to 4-4.5 lbs. Maybe more.

I definitely suggest the Ruger over the 22A. I shoot in the Metro league in central CT, and there are plenty of Rugers on the line (I shoot a Pardini). If you find you like it, you should definitely think about an aftermarket sear/trigger. The factory trigger on the Ruger is pretty rough (I have one) and will defnitely limit how well you can shoot. (What you do expect for $300 - my 6 Pardini mags cost that much!). The Ruger is so customizable, adding an aftermarket trigger is easy and not too expensive. (www.rimfirecentral.com has lots of users that can help).

+1 on the Ruger. +1 on the custom trigger. Weighs about 3 lbs with a loaded mag. A red-dot will add a little more. Lots of options available for grips, triggers, compensators, etc.

I have all 4, Ruger MKIII, S&W 22a, S&W 41, and Pardini.

Though I havent yet shot bullseye with it, this is my Ruger MKIII "hunter" with the fluted barrel that cuts down on weight a bit. This one has had the follwing modifications:
-Volquartsen Target grips
-Volquartsen Target sear (2# trigger pull)
-Volquartsen EDM extractor
-Volquartsen extended slide stop
-Volquartsen compensator (not pictured)

Its pretty much my favorite gun to shoot, and it is a big hit with everyone who has shot it. Far, far more accurate than I can shoot, too.
6.jpg

7.jpg

22A is more of a plinker - I think the Ruger is a better target gun, and it would be many years before you could outshoot it - I'd get the Ruger - If you do get it, make sure you choose the one that has the ability to replace the grips

+1. I have shot both and I bought the Ruger MK-III for Bullseye. 22A is definitley a plinker in comparison.

Listen to the others and buy the Ruger. You can trick them out and they are a tack driver. I see many in the NVPL. In the league I too shoot a Pardini. A good friend in Maine has 2 of Rugers and I've shot them both. They both will shoot 3/4" groups from a rest.
Another option is the Sig Trailside. It's not as much $$$ as the 41's. There is something about that gun that I like. When I was buying, I held one at KTP and was in love. These are not MA compliant but the Pardini isn't either according to some but not all shops. They are available.

Larry's Guns in Gray Maine is the importer for Pardini and he does a lot of work on the Trailsides.

I recently heard that the Pardini made the list of evil weapons in your great state - what a joke - a 5 shot 22LR pistol being more dangerous than EBR?

I guess it is probably the no safety thing (of course my Sig 226 has no safeties either)

Sure glad I don't live in MA, CT is hard enough to stomach...

Back
Top Bottom