• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

bullet pullers

I just purchased a Lyman bullet puller (hammer) I'm following
the brief instructions, but not haing any good resluts.

They are 45acp that have been crimped..

what am i doing wrong??????

JimB

Get a piece of 4x4 post and use that to strike the head of the puller on That's what I use and there is nary a bullet that won't come loose. I've read several posts where people were hammering on carpet and couldn't get results, simple answer you need something SOLID to get a kinetic puller to work.

Even a piece of wood will give enough that it will make it a challenge. The concrete floor in your basement (if you have one) will work perfect. If not, get a small vise that has an "anvil" section on it.

If that doesn't work, some people suggest using your seater die to seat the bullet a hair lower to break a crimp or seal.

I hit a piece of carpet that is over the cement floor. I handful of good whacks usually does the job.

One good whack on a cement floor and it'll pop out. I've got a pretty stout counter top in my reloading area, but I'd have to swing so hard I'd be afraid the handle would break on the puller.

I find that pulling up the last second helps get the bullets out easier. Give it some whiplash and they'll come right out. Once you get it right they'll come out after 3 or 4 good whacks. Works on military ammo and steel case great.

I find that pulling up the last second helps get the bullets out easier. Give it some whiplash and they'll come right out.

Careful how you describe that. What you are referring to is the Pelton effect. It works off the idea that things that bounce create more energy (since they have to turn around and go back) then things that simply stop. This is why when you play paintball, the bouncers hurt much more then the splats.

So it's not that you are pulling up at the last minute. It's that you are bouncing it off of the floor.

But yes, it does work wonders.

It also helps to aim two feet beyond the floor. If you aim for the floor, your power will be at the end of your arms stroke. Your muscles will already have started to stretch in the direction opposite to that which you want to move. It's a rather inefficient way to use a puller. If you aim two feet beyond the target (the floor) then you are right in the “power band” (if you will) of your throw. The same goes for throwing a punch in a fight.

Last edited:
Pulling bullets in some of the larger calibers (I made dummies for .480 Ruger and .500 Magnum out of commercial loads) took a lot of effort. The piece of Oak stair Tread I use is dented to heck.

Keep expecting the plastic housing to shatter, but so far, so good.

And as any martial arts instructor will tell you, always seek to strike beyond the surface you are aiming for.

Back
Top Bottom