• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Building AR-?

I'm clearly clueless in this arena if i'm asking this question.
Could you tell me what the benefits are in building a custom AR?

Like any custom hot-rod = $$$?
I'm very interested but right now have Champagne taste pbr budget.
What are the drawbacks to buying off the rack?

thanks

The advantage of custom is having it set up exactly how you want it. Nothing off the rack had the combo of features I wanted, so I built my own. If I bought a complete rifle, I'd have parts I swapped out that I didn't use.

Care to share what any upgrades may be or direct me to a info source listing option differences?
Its been 20 years since i turned back in my Gov. issued M-16.
Things clearly have changed.

If budgets am issue you can buy used component and also spread it out over a couple months if you have the patience! Check out the classifieds here or equipment exchange on ar-15.com good luck!

Last edited:
Care to share what any upgrades may be or direct me to a info source listing option differences?
Its been 20 years since i turned back in my Gov. issued M-16.
Things clearly have changed.

you can avoid buying things twice. instead of buying an off the rack gun and then switching out the butt stock, you can get the butt stock you want right off the bat. if you like a certain handguard you can buy that right away instead of replacing the stock handguards, so on and so forth. http://www.ar15builder. com/ is a good place to get some ideas. there are many other places that you can order parts from, like bravocompanyusa and midway usa, to name a couple

this thread is a great place to look at what people on this forum have to get some ideas you might like
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ad...-I-ll-show-you-mine-if-you-show-me-yours.

Customs are great when you know what you want and why you want it. Otherwise, get one off the rack and learn what you want in an AR.

im building my own for 2 reasons

like someone already said they combo they want isnt available "off the rack, and im a mechanic/auto body tech/guy....and i just plain like making something from a pile of parts

As said really get a good idea of what you want. Find friends with different ARs and see if they will let you give them a good session.
I went the full circle on the ARs in the last 4 years. I have come back to earth now. I have no real need to have optics on my AR greater than my mortgage payment.
I have since sold off all my "tactical" goodies. I retained 3 ARs out of the 2 I purchased and the 6 I built
1. My Stag model 2 flat top carbine-firts AR paid 849.00
2. My franknstienAR assembled with odd parts, free parts, swapped parts, used parts and I have a grand total of <500.00 into it runs fine. Its a carbine also
3. I have a AR lower and a tactical solutions 22cal upper on it.
Im also back to useing Irons except the 22 I have a 90s vintage propoint red dot on that.
Many late nights or early mornings on AR15.com should get you going. As for buying all the non FFL parts you need to try and find a source with that has most of what you want or shipping will eat up any saveings if you spread your parts out over different online vendors.
Find a few vendors and get on the specials mailing list if they have one. Gunkings.com is one of those vendors who at times has one night only sales ect ect
I also look for free shipping or discounted shipping.
Overstock.com has a good amount of add ball gun accesorries BUT be sure you know what the stuff goes for. Sometimes its not a deal on OS.com

In a nut shell I find my self wanting a standard A2 rifle.....I have a lower for that build but no $$$

I like the ability to spread out the costs over an extended time period. Additionally, I was able to pick out exactly what I wanted. Finally, I am a technical thinking guy and enjoy knowing the details of how things work.

I like the ability to spread out the costs over an extended time period. Additionally, I was able to pick out exactly what I wanted. Finally, I am a technical thinking guy and enjoy knowing the details of how things work.
this, for me.

i bought parts from group buys that were awesome deals before i was even ready to build. i got a SICK deal on the lower during the delaware group buy, and i have sat on it since...prob 1.5-2 years and i am just building now.

Back
Top Bottom