• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Building AR-15s

Headed back to MA, and need to adjust to some law changes.

In NC, I have made 7-8 ARs out of 80% forgings. Are these legal in MA, if they are built in compliance with the BAN? Would I have to serialize them and register them, via FA-10?

Is there a need for instruction on how to build an AR-15? I have worked on over 10,000 M16s in the past 4 years and am quite knowledgeable of the platform. I saw the post on "Build N AR" and figured if people need instruction on how to do things, I could offer it. Tools are easy to get a hold of, and the AR-15 could be built by a monkey with half a brain.

Do people need sources for parts? I've spent a lot of time researching parts for AR-15s, and I would like to share the sources that I have found.

I'm a Marine, 2111/Small Arms Repair and was serving the billet of a 2112/Precision Weapons Repair (Sniper Rifles)

Surplus Ammo Arms www.surplusammo.com has A3 Upper with EPC and FA assembled, Charging Handle, and your choice of caliber complete Bolt Carrier Group, for $169.99.

Brownells is my source for float tubes, compensators, etc, if you sign up as LEO/Military you get dealer pricing on almost everything they have.

I use Citadel barrels, http://www.shop.ar15hardware.com/Citadel-Barrels_c4.htm around $115-145, with no front sight base.

I found it's cheaper to build piece by piece for custom ARs, as opposed to buying a complete kit from somewhere, and then adding float tube, gas block, etc.

I average around $750 per build, with free float quad rail, flip up front sight gas block, and a decent stock and compensator.

In NC, I have made 7-8 ARs out of 80% forgings. Are these legal in MA, if they are built in compliance with the BAN? Would I have to serialize them and register them, via FA-10?

Yep... as long as they're ban compliant, they're legal here.

If you're moving here from out of state, filing an FA-10 is not required.

The serial number part, I don't know.

Is there a need for instruction on how to build an AR-15? I have worked on over 10,000 M16s in the past 4 years and am quite knowledgeable of the platform. I saw the post on "Build N AR" and figured if people need instruction on how to do things, I could offer it. Tools are easy to get a hold of, and the AR-15 could be built by a monkey with half a brain.

Do people need sources for parts? I've spent a lot of time researching parts for AR-15s, and I would like to share the sources that I have found.

I'm a Marine, 2111/Small Arms Repair and was serving the billet of a 2112/Precision Weapons Repair (Sniper Rifles)

Any reason not to just buy stripped lowers? They are super cheap these days.

I have made 7-8 ARs out of 80% forgings. Are these legal in MA, if they are built in compliance with the BAN? Would I have to serialize them and register them, via FA-10?

I believe (but I could be wrong) that you do not need to file an FA-10 on them as you acquired them prior to being a MA resident. I do not believe that you need to serialize them, however, you may need to do so if you want to transfer/sell them at some point. I think that that issue of serial numbers are a dealer issue.

You may want to contact someone at the firearms record bureau - I have bounced questions off the director before.

I believe (but I could be wrong) that you do not need to file an FA-10 on them as you acquired them prior to being a MA resident. I do not believe that you need to serialize them, however, you may need to do so if you want to transfer/sell them at some point. I think that that issue of serial numbers are a dealer issue.

You may want to contact someone at the firearms record bureau - I have bounced questions off the director before.

If he's building them from 80% receivers... they can't be sold or transferred.

I almost posted can never be sold or transferred... but I recall reading about a way it can be done (could be a shady, grey, or untested waters area).

Providing they are ban compliant, they are legal in MA.

If you bring them with you at the time of the move, FA-10s are not required.

If they are brought in at a later date, FA-10s are required within 7 days of entering the state.

MA law does not require serialization. BATFE suggests marking, but it is not required by law (unless/until transferred)...

For your information, per provisions of the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968, 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, an unlicensed individual may make a “firearm” as defined in the GCA for his own personal use, but not for sale or distribution....we suggest that the manufacturer at least identify the firearm with a serial number as a safeguard in the event that the firearm is lost or stolen. Also, the firearm should be identified as required in 27 CFR 478.92 if it is sold or otherwise lawfully transferred in the future.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/fire...parts-assembly

Back
Top Bottom