Building an AR Canadian law question

bdb

NES Member
Anyone up on laws in Canada with regards to building and owning an AR? I have a long time gun buddy in Nova Scotia who has a good arsenal of handguns and long guns and is starting to look into the option of an AR after he has been following my progress building my first 3.

Just curious if anyone knows. I know, it's his problem to figure out but for me, being from Nova Scotia but now a US citizen, its a curiosity point now. I just haven't looked into the laws yet.

I'll do some research for curiosity tonight when I have a PC handy instead of this phone.

Laws are tight on handguns and probably scary black guns too but were always pretty loose on shotguns and hunting rifles. At least they were when I lived there but that was up to 1997. I have no clue what has changed since. Never needed to know.

Anyone up on laws in Canada with regards to building and owning an AR? I have a long time gun buddy in Nova Scotia who has a good arsenal of handguns and long guns and is starting to look into the option of an AR after he has been following my progress building my first 3.

A stripped lower receiver alone is considered to be a firearm; in Canada, a semi-automatic-only AR lower is a "restricted" firearm, which means it's possession and use is tightly controlled, in a similar manner as are NFA items (in the United States). Your friend requires a PAL with a restricted endorsement, a valid membership in an approved shooting club, and - to move it anywhere - a valid ATT. The other parts are essentially uncontrolled (except for import and export), but there are restrictions on barrel manufacture and barrel shortening, and a restriction on the circumstances whereby a rifle may be re-manufactured into a short barreled rifle (like an SBR).

Fact Sheets concerning the Firearms Act
<http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/index-eng.htm>

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom