Browning Light Twelve Auto 5 question

Smitty - the B&C stock comes with a tube thing inside the forearm - it's for use on 2 3/4" guns - if you have a magnum remove it. The directions were less than clear but the customer service was great. I don't think you'll be disappointed overall. Good luck.

Peicemaker,
I removed the word restoration from my post for ya, as to not upset any professional gunsmiths.
My idea was to take a old used A5 that had seen better days that was just laying around a gun shop wasting away while modern gas guns get sold and used.
It was to breath new life into the shotgun and resurrect something unloved and nearly dead.
I've got older Brownings, but this was to be a practical take on an A5 stalker model which Browning produced some of themselves.
It was to be as I stated a shooter & hunting shotgun not a work of art.
If I want pretty I'll go open up the box and look at the all original NIB 1970 A5 mag 12 that I own.
I'd never buy rusted and pitted, blued worn yes.
I'd also never pay the kind of $,$$$ a professional gunsmith would want to redo a shotgun to original type condition especially on something with no personal sentimental value to it and neither is anybody else. The A5 is not a normal production shotgun anymore and the last ones were all Browning Custom Shop made with a cost of like $3,500. Honestly if I were going to buy a brand new autoloading shotgun I like most people would be well served looking at Beretta A300 for around $1,000 to $1,100.
This A5 redone would be a tool, purpose built for use in the field or in a duck blind and one doesn't need an expensive cold blued finish for that. I can do the Cera Coat, spring change / rebuild kit, and the furniture swap myself rather than having to have somebody else do it for me. I've printed the A5 maintenance manual book and looked deeply into the project.
Also I'm not at all mad at you (hope your not with me) just differing views and approaches here.
smitty

Smitty, man I get where your coming from and I get that you want a good, utilitarian gun, but I just think that doing what you want to do to an A5 is counter intuitive, when there are guys like me who (if the proper facilities were available) would buy that beat up A5, restore it to it's former glory and enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed, thereby imparting sentimental value onto it. In any event, carry on.

Napoleon, that is a good looking gun and the price is right. Scoop it up while you can.

Napoleon - if it's the shotgun in the first picture (with the old school Browning tag) BUY IT NOW !

Piecemaker - we are cool.

And Sprocket - thanks for the advice about the B & C stock.

smitty

The choke is:

** designates modified choke (M).

Need help understanding what this means (that is, can it be used for slugs?).

Shot my first deer a few years back with the one my gramps let me borrow... permanently. Now it needs reassembling after I took the scope base off and locked up the bolt.[thinking]

This would be a cool one,
browning_a5_police8rd.jpg

I think mines a cylinder bore, seems like about a 26" barrel. Great Browning design.

Last edited:
The choke is:

Ideally, you want a cylinder bore for slugs, but a modified barrel should work. If you're using it, take it to the range, with a few different brands, and see what it likes best.

Buy it! Get the sweet 16 too!

I have the, light 20, sweet 16, and magnum 12.
The 16 was my fathers and I shot my first deer with it. The 20 and 12 I bought and use, the 16 sits a lot now, but she is purdy. Great guns!

The choke is:

M = Magically Delicious...and is the best all around choke for this gun. It will shoot smooth slugs very well out to 50 yards or so, and if you're shooting beyond that, get a gun with a dedicated slug barrel that can shoot sabots. It will bust clays and bunnies as well.

I'd venture to guess that more deer have been taken with an A5 and a Modified barrel than any other combo since the advent of modern shotguns (back off 870 people[laugh]).

M = Magically Delicious...and is the best all around choke for this gun. It will shoot smooth slugs very well out to 50 yards or so, and if you're shooting beyond that, get a gun with a dedicated slug barrel that can shoot sabots. It will bust clays and bunnies as well.

I'd venture to guess that more deer have been taken with an A5 and a Modified barrel than any other combo since the advent of modern shotguns (back off 870 people[laugh]).

Thanks! I was afraid I would need a barrel swap. I mostly have the Remington rifled slugs (2.75)...the basic ones you find in most stores. I will try it out!!!

Back
Top Bottom