Brass ratting, it's a disease

It sure is a disease. Scored 30 pieces of 44 mag and 20 pieces of 7.62x54r brass at the range today. Left a ton of 38 spl behind as I only use 357 mag brass
Every Tues. someone at the range shoots 3-4 boxes of nickel 38, so I swing by just about every Wed. to grab it.…[smile]

I wonder how many readers have read this and aren't sure they understand it. 🤔

I take this as good advice.

If EC doesn't collect it to reload it himself, you don't want to, either.
Theres plenty that dont care, some will shoot until head actually cracks

I did this inadvertently when I first started reloading.

I had just showed up and I had the range to myself. There was a good amount of brass all over the place so before I even unpacked, I scooped everything up. On the rifle side (Andover Sportsmens Club) there was quite a bit of what I thought was 357 mag brass. I thought "damn someone mustve been banging away with the lever action for a while". Finished loading everything up into a plastic freezer bag which I put on the shelf with my stuff and started shooting.

A little bit later a guy came in, walked down the other end, walked back to me and asked if I had seen any 30 carbine brass. In hindsight I shouldve asked what it looked like, as at the time I had no idea I just knew it was a rifle cartridge so my brain was probably thinking bottleneck case. I reply "No" and he looks at me, looks at this freezer bag bursting with brass, looks back at me with a pause and says "...ok" and leaves. I get home and start sorting brass. Of course the 357 brass was actually 30 Carbine brass. I cringed hard and put it in a container figuring I would mention it to the guy if I saw him again. I havent bumped into him and tbh enough time has passed by now that I prob wouldnt recognize him if I did.

Not the biggest deal, but I felt scuzzy about it. Im sure I looked like the stereotypical brass rat who had scooped up his brass and then lied about it right to his face.

(If youre out there, sorry bro and I still have your brass if you want it lol)
I still remember what you look like.

And that was my grandfather's brass.

I find so much brass that I leave most of it behind. There must be lots of wealthy shooters to leave that much brass on the ground. Today I found about 50 .308 cases which is not that uncommon but I also found about 30 .44 magnums which is rare and 18 .32/20s which I've never found before.

Theres plenty that dont care, some will shoot until head actually cracks
That's fine for revolver calibers (with cracks at the mouth). What happens when the crack is a case head separation on my thrice trimmed 7mm Magnum?

EDIT: I just saw your previous post. You get it.

Case split is one thing head separation is a bit worse
I remember I had a case head separation with my Dan Wesson 44 mag. Chambers were oversized according to the smith at DW. Had to get a new cylinder fitted.
83833A4A-62B1-4248-B38F-BC41160042B5.jpeg BB8185D4-4403-4E43-9486-00B7A884C399.jpeg

And the other time was when I was shooting 1950s surplus 30-06 in my buddies Johnson Rifle.
B0C0EEDA-2C4D-43A6-9477-2E561844F2AA.jpeg 7EB9BE0F-B194-4EEF-BACD-FDCBC545127A.jpeg

I find so much brass that I leave most of it behind. There must be lots of wealthy shooters to leave that much brass on the ground. Today I found about 50 .308 cases which is not that uncommon but I also found about 30 .44 magnums which is rare and 18 .32/20s which I've never found before.
Theres a good amount of deep pockets at 2 clubs I go to. So much so they dont bother to even pick it up and put it in the brass buckets.

I remember I had a case head separation with my Dan Wesson 44 mag. Chambers were oversized according to the smith at DW. Had to get a new cylinder fitted.
View attachment 553668View attachment 553669

And the other time was when I was shooting 1950s surplus 30-06 in my buddies Johnson Rifle.
View attachment 553671View attachment 553672
Exactly: nice some brass is known to be brittle especially some older surplus stuff.
My friend has a shit ton of surplus french 30-06 the case head almost always shows signs of splitting. It will crack a bit out of his most worn M1. Last I heard he bought a collet puller…

Exactly: nice some brass is known to be brittle especially some older surplus stuff.
My friend has a shit ton of surplus french 30-06 the case head almost always shows signs of splitting. It will crack a bit out of his most worn M1. Last I heard he bought a collet puller…
I have 2 belts of that crap. I bought it cheap and only because it was belted. I let people I hate shoot it. Mostly Democrats.

I did this inadvertently when I first started reloading.

I had just showed up and I had the range to myself. There was a good amount of brass all over the place so before I even unpacked, I scooped everything up. On the rifle side (Andover Sportsmens Club) there was quite a bit of what I thought was 357 mag brass. I thought "damn someone mustve been banging away with the lever action for a while". Finished loading everything up into a plastic freezer bag which I put on the shelf with my stuff and started shooting.

A little bit later a guy came in, walked down the other end, walked back to me and asked if I had seen any 30 carbine brass. In hindsight I shouldve asked what it looked like, as at the time I had no idea I just knew it was a rifle cartridge so my brain was probably thinking bottleneck case. I reply "No" and he looks at me, looks at this freezer bag bursting with brass, looks back at me with a pause and says "...ok" and leaves. I get home and start sorting brass. Of course the 357 brass was actually 30 Carbine brass. I cringed hard and put it in a container figuring I would mention it to the guy if I saw him again. I havent bumped into him and tbh enough time has passed by now that I prob wouldnt recognize him if I did.

Not the biggest deal, but I felt scuzzy about it. Im sure I looked like the stereotypical brass rat who had scooped up his brass and then lied about it right to his face.

(If youre out there, sorry bro and I still have your brass if you want it lol)
Reminds me of Douglas Adams.

Back
Top Bottom