Brass confusion

I haven't started reloading yet but today I was at the range all by myself shooting my 9mm and when finished I picked up my brass. As I was picking it up I noticed a .40 case and then noticed something else that didn't seem to be 9mm but I was in a hurry and just picked up the brass and left. When I got home and was transferring the brass to my container I noticed that in addition to 9mm I did have some .40 S&W some 380 auto and what looks like a 7.65 Br. (whatever that is).

The point of this post is; Do you ever have problems reloading because a wrong size case got mixed in. Some of them are very similar and it seems that if you aren't very careful a wrong size could slip in. How great a risk is this?

I check my headstamps before reloading after tumbling. You need to check your brass. 380 can slip by but you would catch it... but a 9mm bullet would just slip into the case too easy.

When I go to the range I throw all the brass I can find into a five gallon bucket and sort it later. I read every headstamp as I sort by hand just in case there is a 380 case and I also want to cull out all of the Amerc brass. So far I haven't had a wrong case mixed in.
Rusty

I sort any range brass in Midway sorting trays. Then by hand to remove the little ones that get stuck in other cases. Clean it and inspect it. Toss the junk.

It was nice meeting you at Harvard this afternoon.

I always sort the brass out before I even tumble it.

Tumbling things like .45s and .40s at the same generally sucks because they
get wedged in with each other, so I just avoid it altogether.

-Mike

I use the Shell Sorter to sort my brass prior to cleaning/tumbling. That thing is actually better than sliced bread and I highly recommend it to anyone who has a lot of range pick or mixed brass to sort out.

Back
Top Bottom