• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BradyCampaign: Letter to Obama - after fort hood

We live in an age where the sheep, lacking any other option or ability to defend themselves, can do nothing else than profess false pity for the wolves that don't know better than to eat them...

And what of folks that know better? What of folks that are not sheep? No other options? False pity? Not by a longshot!

I hear what you are saying, but don't sell the average, everyday U.S. Citizen short. False pity? I know a wolf when I see it....and do not put my arms around it.

Sidenote: Where did you get the statement from? It is very true. I have not seen or heard it elsewhere. Is it yours?

Sidenote: Where did you get the statement from? It is very true. I have not seen or heard it elsewhere. Is it yours?
Can't swear it's original, but don't ever recall reading it...

It popped into my head listening to NPR this evening during a description of an LAtimes writer who got scammed out of her honeymoon hotel in Maui and "in the end, the person who did this was not deserving of anger, but pity" or some such nonsense...

[sad2]

Last edited:
Can't swear it's original, but don't ever recall reading it...

It popped into my head listening to NPR this evening during a description of an LAtimes writer who got scammed out of her honeymoon hotel in Maui and "in the end, the person who did this was not deserving of anger, but pity" or some such nonsense...

[sad2]

If its yours, my hat is off to you. If not, thanks for putting it out. Either way, food for thought for a lot of folks. [grin]

Yes, I think we DO have to care. If all the fear-mongering is all folks see and hear, how long does it take to make it a "fact". How much crap put out on almost all media is taken as "fact"....or "truth"?

Goebbels had a plan. Say something forcefully enough, and often enough, and control the media, and sooner or later....most will believe it. Don't waiver, just keep getting out your "message". Media control is a big part.

If anyone thinks I'm "off the wall", look up Goebbels. Do a search. Find out his "finest hours". Make your own conclusions as to what was then....and what is now. See any differences? [wink]

We have no need to further broadcast lies the Brady Bunch is selling. We should all, all the time, be working at educating friends, co-workers and relatives. That's vastly more effective than worried about stuff that the BB says.

You don't fight complete fantasy positions by re-stating them constantly so you can "set the record straight." Every time you do you repeat the lie, a lie which 90% of people will never hear about in the first place if you don't make the point of repeating it.

You think my MIL or sister or next-door-neighbor read the BB website or care what they say? They don't.

What they DO hear, and see, is me talking about the issue in positive ways and acting responsibly. Every time I bring a newbie to the range, talk to relatives and friends about the issue I make 100 times the impact that the BB could ever hope to.

Between the Dems being insane on the issue making us all feel under attack and the GOP using it as a wedge issue and cynically manipulating us into paranoia I realize it's sometimes hard to keep our eye on the ball, especially in Mass. But we're winning this fight. Slowly and with some stumbles yes, but we're on the winning side in this.

We have no need to further broadcast lies the Brady Bunch is selling. We should all, all the time, be working at educating friends, co-workers and relatives. That's vastly more effective than worried about stuff that the BB says.

What they DO hear, and see, is me talking about the issue in positive ways and acting responsibly. Every time I bring a newbie to the range, talk to relatives and friends about the issue I make 100 times the impact that the BB could ever hope to.

Between the Dems being insane on the issue making us all feel under attack and the GOP using it as a wedge issue and cynically manipulating us into paranoia I realize it's sometimes hard to keep our eye on the ball, especially in Mass. But we're winning this fight. Slowly and with some stumbles yes, but we're on the winning side in this.

That's what I'm saying....and its not easy. Need to keep working. [wink]

What makes the lies easier to sell is that many people are totally disconnected from the reality that surrounds them; what many of us describe as lacking situational awareness.

The person who says "I don't follow politics," the person who doesn't bother to vote, the person who doesn't care about something because it doesn't affect them directly, the person who knows every detail about the participants in the latest reality TV show but who can't name their state representative, and on and on, ad infinitum.

These are 'ostrich' people. They bury their heads in the sand, because to engage the reality that surrounds them requires effort. It's work, not entertainment. These folks are like the people in Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. They don't want to think too deeply about issues or situations, because the reality is often frightening, and they might actually have to take some action. They become so concerned with what the masses think, that they fear investigating or thinking for themselves.

These people will always be fertile ground for those who want to plant lies. People will accept these lies, and the liars, because it's easier and it fits their preconceived world view. To acknowledge that there are wolves means that they might have to raise their heads from munching grass. Far easier to just listen to the shepherd who assures them that everything is fine.

They don't understand that the shepherd has a vested interest: getting the sheep to the slaughterhouse.

“While we urge you to join us in pushing for other much-needed policy changes to help reduce America's epidemic of gun violence that were also relevant to the Fort Hood shooting, such as gaps in the federal background check system that allow suspected terrorists to legally buy guns and the ready availability of high-capacity magazines (including the 20-round magazines used by the Fort Hood shooter),
are they implying that he wasnt checked out before getting into the military? shouldnt they focus some energy on that rather than guns?!

Honestly, do we even care what the brady campaign says? We know it's going to be fear-mongering lies before they open their mouths.

One lawful gun owner being an extreme asshat does more harm to us than all the Brady whining in the world.

sheep believe what they hear. thats why anything said even totally whacked out and false is ammunition against the good guys.

friggen sheep [angry]

These are 'ostrich' people. They bury their heads in the sand, because to engage the reality that surrounds them requires effort. It's work, not entertainment. These folks are like the people in Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. They don't want to think too deeply about issues or situations, because the reality is often frightening, and they might actually have to take some action. They become so concerned with what the masses think, that they fear investigating or thinking for themselves.

+1 I recently re-read Fahrenheit 451. It holds up quite well and is a bit scary considering where we are going as a society.

+1 I recently re-read Fahrenheit 451. It holds up quite well and is a bit scary considering where we are going as a society.

I've been re-reading my jr. high reading list; recently read Brave New World, Red Badge of Courage, and Animal Farm. I guess I'll have to add Fahrenheit 451 to the list.

Off topic; just finished Band of Brothers tonight. One of the best books I've read in a while.

Back
Top Bottom