• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BradyCampaign: Letter to Obama - after fort hood

Here we go again

http://www.vpc.org/

NOVEMBER 19, 2009
Gun Violence Prevention Organizations Call On President Obama To Use Executive Authority To Ban Import of Armor-Piercing Pistol Used In Fort Hood Attack

(FN Herstal Five-seveN armor-piercing semiautomatic pistol).
For Immediate Release: Thursday, November 19, 2009

Contacts: Scott Vogel, Freedom States Alliance, 312-243-8980, [email protected]
Mandy Wimmer, Violence Policy Center, 202-822-8200 x110, [email protected];
Peter Hamm, Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, 202-898-0792, [email protected]

Washington, DC—In a letter sent today to the White House, America’s six national gun violence prevention (GVP) organizations--the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, Violence Policy Center, Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, Freedom States Alliance, Legal Community Against Violence, and States United to Prevent Gun Violence--as well as 21 state and regional GVP groups strongly urged President Barack Obama to use his executive powers to ban the import into the U.S. of the FN Herstal Five-seveN armor-piercing semiautomatic pistol.

[See http://www.vpc.org/obamaletter.pdf for a copy of the letter.]
A Five-seveN was used in the Fort Hood attack earlier this month that left 13 dead and 34 wounded. The Belgian-made weapon, widely available on the U.S. civilian market, is also a favorite of Mexican Drug Trafficking Organizations (DTOs), who refer to it as the “mata policia,” or “cop killer.”
In the letter, the 27 organizations state:

“While we urge you to join us in pushing for other much-needed policy changes to help reduce America's epidemic of gun violence that were also relevant to the Fort Hood shooting, such as gaps in the federal background check system that allow suspected terrorists to legally buy guns and the ready availability of high-capacity magazines (including the 20-round magazines used by the Fort Hood shooter), preventing the importation of any more Five-seveN handguns is an important step that can be accomplished immediately through administrative action by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF)--without the need for any action by Congress.
“Under longstanding federal law, ATF has the clear authority to prohibit the importation of any firearm or ammunition unless it is ‘generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.’ This provision of the 1968 Gun Control Act has historically been used to exclude from import many non-sporting firearms, including so-called ‘Saturday Night Special’ handguns, ‘Street Sweeper’ shotguns, and many foreign-made assault weapons. The FN Five-seveN handgun is clearly the type of firearm to which Congress intended the import restrictions to apply.”

The letter details the fact that despite a voluntary agreement between FN Herstal and ATF to restrict the civilian sale of potentially armor-piercing ammunition for the pistol, “a quick search of the Internet identifies several sources for supposedly banned ammunition.”

Noting that when “the Five-SeveN’s availability is combined with the easy accessibility of complementary armor-piercing ammunition it becomes not only a direct threat to law enforcement, but a potential national security threat as well,” the organizations urge that the President “act today to prohibit the importation of the FN Five-seveN handgun as well as any 5.7X28mm ammunition that has armor-piercing capabilities….”

Haha! Funny, I never thought handguns had anything to do with armor piercing abilities... it's all the ammo. And most rifle rounds could be considered some level of armor piercing...

And who cares? Who says we the people shouldn't be able to have armor piercing ammo? Someone needs to read the Constitution again.

I have yet to see anyone call to ban Dell for providing computer equipment that can be used in DDoS attacks against the .gov

Yup. Doesn't make any sense. Absolutely zero.

Where's the call to ban Exxon-Mobil gas stations? Can't gasoline be used by an arsonist for use as an accelerant?

Or how about calls to ban Toyotas? Aren't Toyotas used by inebriated operators to kill people in drunk-driving collisions?

What about calls to close Home Depots? Can't their screwdrivers be used to stab other people?

... (P)reventing the importation of any more Five-seveN handguns is an important step that can be accomplished immediately through administrative action by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF)--without the need for any action by Congress.

There you have it. Damned the Constitution. Burn it up. To save the children.

Just VPC lying and bloviating again to try to make thier usual pitch... typical.

I'd be surprised if anything they ever released or drafted didn't have a minimum of a half dozen obvious lies and blatant misrepresentations written in it. They know they're on the losing side of the argument, so they have to make up garbage to try to sell it.

-Mike

Honestly, do we even care what the brady campaign says? We know it's going to be fear-mongering lies before they open their mouths.

One lawful gun owner being an extreme asshat does more harm to us than all the Brady whining in the world.

Honestly, do we even care what the brady campaign says? We know it's going to be fear-mongering lies before they open their mouths.

One lawful gun owner being an extreme asshat does more harm to us than all the Brady whining in the world.

Yes, I think we DO have to care. If all the fear-mongering is all folks see and hear, how long does it take to make it a "fact". How much crap put out on almost all media is taken as "fact"....or "truth"?

Goebbels had a plan. Say something forcefully enough, and often enough, and control the media, and sooner or later....most will believe it. Don't waiver, just keep getting out your "message". Media control is a big part.

If anyone thinks I'm "off the wall", look up Goebbels. Do a search. Find out his "finest hours". Make your own conclusions as to what was then....and what is now. See any differences? [wink]

Goebbels was one of if not the greatest propagandists of all time. Up until what we've got going on around us these days.[thinking][frown]
I actually doubt that - its just that people know who he was and they are angry enough about "the message" he was spreading to talk about it...

There are others who may very well have been as successful who's name you will never know (which makes them even more successful)...

The hacks we have now are not, on their face very impressive - it's just that the sheep come to them more willing to accept whatever they have to say because they have no upbringing or personal experience upon which to draw. No "common sense" to cause them to question whatever they are told...

Sheep are not new, but the breeding/rearing program has a bumper crop of ready/willing/able cliff jumpers ready to follow... [sad2]

Goebbels was one of if not the greatest propagandists of all time. Up until what we've got going on around us these days.[thinking][frown]

Yes, he was....and he was very successful. The "timeframe", the "circumstances"? Don't know. I do know that I see the same pattern being repeated today, in the here and now.

I actually doubt that - its just that people know who he was and they are angry enough about "the message" he was spreading to talk about it...

There are others who may very well have been as successful who's name you will never know (which makes them even more successful)...

The hacks we have now are not, on their face very impressive - it's just that the sheep come to them more willing to accept whatever they have to say because they have no upbringing or personal experience upon which to draw. No "common sense" to cause them to question whatever they are told...

Sheep are not new, but the breeding/rearing program has a bumper crop of ready/willing/able cliff jumpers ready to follow... [sad2]

Why will I never know the names? No, "sheep" are not new, but they CAN learn. Personal and familial experiences "should" be an awakening for the "cliff jumpers". I have to think that common sense will supercede the propaganda. If not? [puke]

I have to think that common sense will supercede the propaganda. If not? [puke]
It usually does in the end (after its too late - no longer common sense, but hard won experience), but it takes rubbing the noses of the sheep in the steaming pile of reality they created...

They smelled the ovens, but denied their existence.

We are piling up the debt and denying it matters...

The Brits see their freedoms slipping away, but act as if they are still free...

We will never know their names as "masters of propaganda" at a minimum - even if we do know their names for other "accomplishments"...

examples:
L Ron Hubbard!
Joseph Smith
The radio "personality" who incited the Rwandan Genocide...

Those are just the obvious ones - people who mastered the art of selling lies to many people...

Others behind the mass murders we may never hear about... (Think about Mao's work, the KGB, Stalin, Castro, etc...)

Once, Just once I would like to hear one of these groups such as the Brady Campaign push for criminals to be held responsible for what they do, not what was used. Criminal control, It's for us all.

Once, Just once I would like to hear one of these groups such as the Brady Campaign push for criminals to be held responsible for what they do, not what was used. Criminal control, It's for us all.

We live in an age where the sheep, lacking any other option or ability to defend themselves, can do nothing else than profess false pity for the wolves that don't know better than to eat them...

Those are just the obvious ones - people who mastered the art of selling lies to many people...

Others behind the mass murders we may never hear about... (Think about Mao's work, the KGB, Stalin, Castro, etc...)

Not just history, it goes on today. Chavez in Venezuela is a good example.

Our current President, our CIC (Commander In Chief)....of ALL Armed Forces....everywhere, thinks its just "great" to "dialogue" with folks who want to destroy us and want to see us dead.

The Generals on the ground, who actually have some "experience", and are trained for their jobs, are ignored. Requests will be ""taken under advisement"...and put on the back burner. In between Photo Ops, magazine covers, Prime Time adresses, golf, basketball, Wed. night parties, and...walking the dog....the troops and the mission might come into play. "Perhaps", I guess, might be the operative word. "Let's see what the polls say and how I feel after basketball." I guess. "Have a lot on my plate....how can I get those bucks from those greedy people who don't want to give it all away?" "The troops and all the other crap can wait". "Got to secure my image" and "take care of my contributors...and get re-elected".

This man, in IMHO, is an embarrassment and an affront to all this country stands for. Leadership? Where? Trotting around the globe and telling the world what a "bad" country we are? Never mind Kenya, perhaps his true roots go back to Neville Chamberlain....or even worse. Won't go there now.

*Any and all quotes are strictly mine and are not actual quotes of any person unless so specified.*

Shame on you. You are not being Politically Correct at all. You should know better. "Resistance Is Futile." The Borg. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom