Bow Hunters

So who here are into bowhunting? I got back into it last year after taking a 17 year break. And I am hooked into it big time. They are much more expensive now then before. But fast and modern. Arrows are kinda pricey, but I figured if I do my part and dont hit anything super hard. I will walk away from the range with the same 6 arrows I came with. You cant say that with a firearm.

My favorite hunting season of the year. I was lucky my Cous. worked at Gander Mtn a few years back. I picked up a Diamond Bow w/ all the goodies, dozen Carbon Express arrows, and Muzzy MX4's and saved 30% on the whole lot. [smile]

Even when I'm working during the season.
I'm in the tree by 3. [grin]

been bow hunting for years.
Matthews LX pulling 70 pounds.
blasts a hunting arrow down range at 294 fps.

got a forky last year 40 yards out and passed right through..

I competed in archery for 11 years and foolishely gave it up five years ago and have regretted it ever since. Id love to pick up bow hunting again but need to get the motivation to get a new bow and related gear.

Just upgraded my bow this year with a left-over sale Fred Bear at Dick's. Picked it up for $199 on sale. I love it. Was a $399 bow the year before and it is every bit as good as a lot of other $400-600 bows. With about $100-150 in accessories you can be all set up. I bought mine bare and tuning it and sighting it in was a snap with the right know how (which is easy to find). So, you can get into it with a nice set up for not too much $$. You can also pick up someone else's used set up for cheap money too. A lot of guys get new ones every couple of years.

I used to go through arrows like mad when I was younger and more careless. Now I don't loose or break any.

I bow hunt. This fall was my first deer season with a bow, and spring turkey was my first season.

My favorite season. as a matter of fact I often hunt with a bow even during shotgun and Muzzle loader seasons. Shooting a Mathews Outback @70 lbs. with Axis carbon arrows. Great fun shooting it

I have been bow hunting since I was 14 (16 years now). My favorite season too - nothing like getting up close and personal with a whitetail! I need to upgrade my bow (hopefully this summer with a bow tech). I am using a PSE Sidewinder, draw is about 74 lbs., FPS around 312 last time it was measured, and shooting beaman ics carbon arrows. I use jackhammer expandables and they do a serious number on whitetails. Some exit holes have been almost the size of a tennis ball!

When the time comes I will most likely go with a Diamond (bowtech) bow as well. Seems they have the best price to speed and quite ratio, from the research I have done. Right now I am using a Jennings G2 buckmaster. I picked up off a friend of mine. He had it set up with some nice gear, but I bought a better sight (tru glo extream) to go with it and put new strings on it. I am using the .400 Beman MFX carbon arrows with the 2 inch blazer vanes. Tell you what the blazer vanes are AWESOME, shoot much better groups then I did with 4 inch vanes, and makes for less weight and wind drag = flatter shooting. Toped off with 100gr Muzzy MX-3 broad heads. I think my bow was rated at 253FPS when I had it tested which is plenty fast and good enough out to 40yds. I mean geez if guys are still killing deer at 25+ yards with recurve bows, I think mine will do the job just fine. But I will admit the "man" in me has been eye balling the new fast trendy bows out there, lets face it we all want more power "its hard wired in us" [wink] . But I have made a deal with my self, I will not buy a new bow till I kill a deer and a turkey with the one I have. Even then I may hold onto it, a bit longer. I cant wait till next season, this year I sat it out due to no time to hunt, and not confadent enough that I felt I can make a clean kill 99.9% of the time. Any hunt picks of your resent trophys, or old? Post em up guys.
My favorite hunting season of the year. I was lucky my Cous. worked at Gander Mtn a few years back. I picked up a Diamond Bow w/ all the goodies, dozen Carbon Express arrows, and Muzzy MX4's and saved 30% on the whole lot. [smile] Even when I'm working during the season. I'm in the tree by 3. [grin]

Bow season is definitely the best season of the year. Also, I only did a couple last year, but 3D shoots are a great time and a good way to stay practiced in the off season.

I shoot a Bowtech Tribute, which I guess makes me and these Mathews guys sworn enemies. [wink] If I have any extra money this year that doesn't get spent on guns, I'm thinking about picking up a recurve or a longbow.

i have never bow hunted, but i bought a parker wildfire the other day and i have all year to practice...

i can't wait... i got a super deal on the full set up, soup to nuts. the bow was only used twice!

Back
Top Bottom