• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bought me a scar .... got a couple questions ...

Can I put a vertical grip? And are mag blocks ok in mass so that I can use the 20rd capped at 10?

Attachments

• 947DCBC0-BE51-4D34-BDC8-A91D95B01BAC.jpeg
    947DCBC0-BE51-4D34-BDC8-A91D95B01BAC.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 67
The ones I was looking at are pinned so I can’t drop the spring just wanted to double check before I threw money away

If its from a manufacturer its probably fine but I'd wait for the more legal savvy types to answer that. In reality I doubt anyone will care.

Edit: I meant any LEO etc looking at your mags

Last edited:
Make sure your stock is fixed (from both folding and collapsing)

There are 10 round mags available for SCARs. I would just buy those to be on the safe side although pinned caps should be okay.

First, welcome to the select group of scar owners here.

Pinned mags , are a grey area in massachusetts. Much easier to just buy 10 rd mags.

I wish mag blocks were enough in mass , but it is a pain in the ass here.

It’s my dream gun and now I need my dream optic elcan specterdr lol ... but I actually started saving up for an FDE one and then I’ll sell/trade this one for a 16 and I figured so now I’ll just stick to them 10 rounders

My opinion...

Mag blocks are fine if they dont allow the magazine to be readily converted to use more than 10 rounds. Frequently this is accomplished by epoxying the block in such that you cant open the magazine or otherwise make changes.

The entire 10rd mag thing whether factory or post factory pinned is a crap shoot. Lots of factory 10 rounders have one additional manufacturing step where they dimple the mag on both sides. You can remove the dimple with a drill in 3 seconds without impacting the integrity the magazine and welcome to full capacity. Some factory mags now are cut short and have a large plastic base so no way to ever convert (ok, weld on more metal).

Mags that have a base plate inside the mag with a cylinder that goes down into the actual base plate to hold it all together can be replaced with an internal base that has length to limit to 10. You cant just remove the new base because the mag falls apart. If you can get a new flat base, you can get the mag back to full capacity. That scenario requires new parts, so arguably ok (unless some DA hates you)

So pinned? factory? depends. Scar 10rds factory are not going to be modifiable by any definition of easy. They are not cheap, but readily available. Epoxied mag blocks done by your FFL are likely just as good in terms of permanent.

Back
Top Bottom