Bought Magnum SPP by mistake!

I'm sure it is not recommended, but has anyone used these in 9mm or .45acp loads? I grabbed 2000 of them by mistake and wonder if i should return them or can they be safely used? I do not load for major, actually the lowest load that will cycle my guns is what i shoot (no pun) for. Thoughts?
Thanks

I've only used magnum primers for 357 mag and 44 mag not 9mm or 45. I know I've heard/read people substituting mag primers in 9mm when standard primers were hard to find and they didn't seem to have any issues. But they used the starting load/charge and worked up from there. I think as long as you're not loading mid-max, you should be fine?

But do not take what I've "read/heard" as fact. I'll let more experienced reloaders chime in.

What powder and bullet weight are you using? Just curious.

Last edited:
I'm not a pistol loader, but for rifles I would have to work up a new load, starting several grains low and working up while watching the chrono and pressure signs.

I would return them.

i did this same thing with LPP and I was told here by people whos opinions I trust to just use them. As anything you use a new component start at teh bottome and work your way up.

I've only used magnum primers for 357 mag and 44 mag not 9mm or 45. I know I've heard/read people substituting mag primers in 9mm when standard primers were hard to find and they didn't seem to have any issues. But they used the starting load/charge and worked up from there. I think as long as you're not loading mid-max, you should be fine?

But do not take what I've "read/heard" as fact. I'll let more experienced reloaders chime in

What powder and bullet weight are you using? Just curious.

Thanks Andrew!
I'm using Bullseye for 9mm and WST for 45 (haven't loaded 45 in a while) and 115 and 147gn for 9mm and 200 and 230 for .45.

I have seen some guys will use the mags but would like to hear from this group, as this is where i learned!

As long as you are loading less than max power loads, you should have no problem. If you are loading for elephant, don't use them

I would view this as the perfect opportunity to get a .357 or .44 magnum to load for, and make some noise!!

Just use them, no need to change your loads unless they're really aggressive. I currently have about 1500 9mm rounds loaded with Magnum primers because that was what was on the shelf at the time.

I can't tell any difference.

Just use them, no need to change your loads unless they're really aggressive. I currently have about 1500 9mm rounds loaded with Magnum primers because that was what was on the shelf at the time.

I can't tell any difference.

This. I've used Magnum pistol as well as small rifle primers in 9mm and I couldn't tell a difference either.

Winchester markets large pistol primers "For standard and magnum loads" so there can't be much difference.

The only problem I can see is that the primer cups might be harder.

Winchester markets large pistol primers "For standard and magnum loads" so there can't be much difference.

The only problem I can see is that the primer cups might be harder.

The cups are a bit harder but it's not enough to cause a problem, unless you have a gun prone to light strikes they're all going to go bang just the same. I've used magnum primers in 9mm in Sigs, Glocks, S&W Shield, a RIA 1911, and a carbine. None had any issues.

I read some testing on primers, and some companies magnum primers were not as hot as other companies standard primers. I think for some companies a few thousandths extra cup thickness is the only difference.

Did that with small federals Only diference between standard and mag was 30fps over the chrony

Many years ago when 38 Super was the dominant round in IPSC competition and it was more or less a "wildcat" cartridge I asked a friend who was a reloader and top shooter what the difference was between standard and magnum primers was. He said "About 50 fps".

I'm sure it is not recommended, but has anyone used these in 9mm or .45acp loads? I grabbed 2000 of them by mistake and wonder if i should return them or can they be safely used? I do not load for major, actually the lowest load that will cycle my guns is what i shoot (no pun) for. Thoughts?
Thanks

If you're loading mouse farts not even worth worrying about, frankly, just use them.

-Mike

I loaded up some midrange 38spl and tried 6 with mag primers - unfortunately they were my tightest group of the night and seemed to burn cleaner - I need to duplicate this performance with a regular primer now....

I loaded up some midrange 38spl and tried 6 with mag primers - unfortunately they were my tightest group of the night and seemed to burn cleaner - I need to duplicate this performance with a regular primer now....

That is the intention of a "magnum" primer. They burn hotter,longer and create more gas volume.
Sure you can use a Winchester SPP in a magnum load. Although your results may not be as good as a Magnum primer.

When in doubt contact the manufacture.
Wolf made it very confusing with their SRM primer line. Had a magnum which was "hotter" and one that just had a thicker cup for the 5.56 NATO loads.

As for bringing them back I would like to know if they take them. I know it's store policy in most places they will not take back powder,primers or ammo.

I never have a problem selling stuff at the local clubs ......I go at breakfast time.

Back
Top Bottom