Boston idiosyncrasies....

milktree

NES Member
I've got a couple students in an upcoming class who live in Boston. I know, "tell them to move."

I've found (I think) the "here are all the hoops you have to go through in Boston to get your LTC" rundown, but I have a couple questions:

Does Boston require its subjects to be a member of a gun club to get an LTC? One "what I did" page suggested so, but wasn't explicit.

Is the B-27C target center close enough to the "Moon Island" target that I can say, "this is what you'll have to hit."

Boston dropped the club requirement a few years ago.

Yes, that sounds right for the Moon Island target. Very hard to find in MA.

I teach Boston students by running them thru the same course of fire they will do at Moon Island, using a similar gun (Boston uses a few different brands/models so NOBODY can legitimately claim to use the "identical gun"). Unlike one large training school, they only shoot .38Spl ammo with me, no .22s! [Training with .22s is very useful, but not what they will face at Moon Island.] I also do this outdoors unless weather is terrible as again, they won't be shooting this indoors for their real qualification.

What is this moon island? When I hear that name I get this picture in my head:
bigstock_Toilet_831655.jpg

I've got a couple students in an upcoming class who live in Boston. I know, "tell them to move."/
Mayor Menino would like to thank you for telling them to move. It makes it much easier for him to keep those policies in place.

Heaven forbid a bunch of "pry my cold dead fingers" owners would move here and start making noise. It's so much easier to sit on the couch and type about your support of 2A than to actually do something to support it.

People throw the term "Sheeple" around a lot here. To me, that term means those who think battles can be fought by running from the sound of the guns.

Referring to Boston residents as "subjects" when you don't list where you live in your profile - pure class. I'm glad you are teaching the classes but how about demonstrating some leadership?

Last edited:
Mayor Menino would like to thank you for telling them to move. It makes it much easier for him to keep those policies in place.

Heaven forbid a bunch of "pry my cold dead fingers" owners would move here and start making noise. It's so much easier to sit on the couch and type about your support of 2A than to actually do something to support it.

People throw the term "Sheeple" around a lot here. To me, that term means those who think battles can be fought by running from the sound of the guns.

Referring to Boston residents as "subjects" when you don't list where you live in your profile - pure class. I'm glad you are teaching the classes but how about demonstrating some leadership?

Wow, who pissed in your oatmeal?

"tell them to move" was meant tongue-in-cheek, because that's usually the answer that shows up here when this subject comes up, or "pick a different town" when someone says they're moving to Boston. These particular people have no intention of moving, and I wouldn't suggest it beyond explaining how dumb-ass the Boston laws are. I said it to make it so nobody would have to clutter the thread with exactly the same comment.

There's no doubt that Boston residents *are* subject to a different set of laws and rules than ... well, pretty much everywhere else, and while it was a little snarky to refer to Bostonians as "subjects" it was a reflection of Boston, not the people; in much the same way every resident of Massachusetts is referred to as a "subject" in many, many other threads here.

If you care, if you really think it matters, I live in Waltham, a Red town. But really, it doesn't matter. Are you offended because *you* live in Boston?

And... what's with your signature, anyway? Who should move?

So, do you have anything constructive or helpful to add to this? Can you add any pearls of wisdom about your experience getting your LTC in Boston?

Last edited:
Are you really naive enough to believe that adding a few relative handfuls of gun owners to Boston will ever change the policy? [rofl]

Nothing short of action in the courts will stop those ****ing a**h***s, PERIOD. Well, there is legislation that could be filed at the state level to reform the licensing system entirely, but that is a pipe dream. Applying energy towards either of those things, however, is certainly more productive than "staying in Boston". [laugh]

-Mike

Training with .22s is very useful, but not what they will face at Moon Island.

Although some chant the mantra of "start new shooters out with 22s", I am not aware of any PDs that use this approach in their training of recruits many of whom have no gun experience.

Boston dropped the club requirement a few years ago.

That's good.

Yes, that sounds right for the Moon Island target. Very hard to find in MA.

It sounds like simply ordering a bunch from pistoleer.com might make sense. I feel a little silly spending $12.82 for shipping for $12.87 worth of targets, but really, $0.25 each delivered to my door isn't bad considering how long 100 targets will last.

Are you really defeatist enough to believe that adding a few relative handfuls of gun owners to Boston will not ever change the policy? [rofl]/
FFY

There were probably lots and lots of people like you in Ohio. "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't - you are right."

There were probably lots and lots of people like you in Ohio. "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't - you are right."

No, not really. The voter demographics alone between the two states aren't even on the same planet, they weren't 20+ years ago and they're not now. MA is going more and more moonbat by the day, and Boston is probably only 3rd or 4th behind like Newton, Brookline, and Cambridge in terms of the number of moonbats.

I realize you like to be optimistic, but in this case you're just willfully blind. The chances that non moonbats will ever run Boston politics is a big fat ZERO unless your plan involves rolling some technicals on city hall plaza.

If you really want things to change for gun owners in Boston the only way to do it is via orbital bombardment. You have to get the rest of the state to gang up on the ****faces that run that city, and get the state or the courts usurp their power. At this juncture I really only have faith in the last option.

-Mike

That's good.

It sounds like simply ordering a bunch from pistoleer.com might make sense. I feel a little silly spending $12.82 for shipping for $12.87 worth of targets, but really, $0.25 each delivered to my door isn't bad considering how long 100 targets will last.

Well, once I ID'd the targets I was able to get them from the couple that sell targets at every gun show. In fact I saw these targets in Concord today . . . I think the price was $15/100. Now I just get them from my club FFL or via a huge group buy that a friend runs for numerous gun clubs/pistol teams occasionally.

Well, once I ID'd the targets I was able to get them from the couple that sell targets at every gun show. In fact I saw these targets in Concord today . . . I think the price was $15/100. Now I just get them from my club FFL or via a huge group buy that a friend runs for numerous gun clubs/pistol teams occasionally.

++ for Americantargetcompany.com (877) 733-0433

They don't list shipping costs on their website, so I called.

$40/500, free shipping. Or, $0.08 each.

500 will last me a lifetime or two. Anyone interested in buying any?

group buy?

I'm reluctant to commit until I have them in my hands and see what they actually charged me, but yes.

Which is to say, I'll almost certainly have 400 "extra" I'd be happy to trade for $0.08 apiece (in quantities of at least 50)

Sure enough, a box of 500 B27-C targets showed up, with an invoice for $40. Right on.

I measured it carefully and made a diagram, in case anyone wants to compare it to the actual "Moon Island target"

B27-C-dimensions.JPG

Back
Top Bottom