Boberg XR9

Iv'e seen those online before, never in person. Its an interesting design concept, and I wouldn't mind owning on as a novelty, but I personally would never carry it. Unnecessarily complicated, not sure I could bring myself to trust it not to jam, and if it did, I don't think it would be a simple "tap-rack-bang" kind of issue.

cross_sec1.jpg

I don't know about "unnecessarily complicated" given the design goal: To produce a pocket-sized 9mm gun with a reasonable barrel length. I agree that its design makes the common failure mode resolutions sort of an unknown at this point. Does it already have the next round grabbed when one is in the chamber or does that part drop down only as recoil starts? If it has it grabbed when one's in the chamber, that makes a number of steps (admin reloads, racking on a hard jam after dropping the mag to avoid a double-feed) potentially a lot more complex and racking on an extraction failure could lead to a lot more double-feeds.

Does it already have the next round grabbed when one is in the chamber or does that part drop down only as recoil starts? If it has it grabbed when one's in the chamber, that makes a number of steps (admin reloads, racking on a hard jam after dropping the mag to avoid a double-feed) potentially a lot more complex and racking on an extraction failure could lead to a lot more double-feeds.

Based on the picture I have up there, and the idea behind the design, it would have to have the next round already held. That way during recoil, it is pulled back and lifted up in line with the chamber. During forward movement, the round would be started into the chamber, then the lifter would drop down and clip over the next round in the mag. I admire the technical aspects of the design, and the ingenuity that went into the thing, but at least for myself, it's just a curiosity. The standard browning system works and fixing a problem is much less complicated. I see this being a fine example of Murphy's Law waiting to be proven.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TSva89jbNM[/video]

Last edited:
If you have an FTE and tap/rack on a conventional setup you will get a double feed. I wouldn't call it unnecessarily complicated. JMBs .50 cal also strips a round from the belt above the barrel, pulls it back, slides it down on the bolt, and chambers it when the bolt comes forward (and grasps the next round in the belt). I would agree I would like to see the design proven with more time before trusting my life to it, but I wouldn't write it off.

Mike

I may be being a bit harsh on the thing, but my opinions are worth every cent paid. [laugh]

That said, I wonder if a low powered round could make it withdraw enough to allow the next round to come to the top of the mag, but not feed the round in the lifter. Would the round be driven back at a downward angle with enough force to set off the primer of the top round in the mag?

crazymjb, I agree that with any semi, you get a double-feed if you rack with loaded mag in when one is stuck in the chamber and the extractor fails to remove it. My point was that you could get a double even if you drop the mag first unless that grabbed round slips down with the magazine. Looking at some pics of the mags online, I think the mag lip design means that grabbed round will come neatly with the rest of the mag when ejected so that would not be a problem. It may even be that the design lowers the likelihood of a jam-up on a low-power round. Hard to tell.

Anyhow, it seems to me that it is no more complex than its key design criterion - maximize barrel length in a 9mm pocket pistol - requires.

The only issues reported, that I've managed to find, are the case being pulled from the magazine and the bullet left behind, ripped out of the case due to it's own stationary momentum.

There is a review online that has a picture of the slide, open, with the stripped case, bullet and powder all over the place. Maybe Boberg should consider selling their own ammunition for this gun that has an extra deep crimp.

The only issues reported, that I've managed to find, are the case being pulled from the magazine and the bullet left behind, ripped out of the case due to it's own stationary momentum.

There is a review online that has a picture of the slide, open, with the stripped case, bullet and powder all over the place. Maybe Boberg should consider selling their own ammunition for this gun that has an extra deep crimp.
Or you should consider not buying whatever crap ammo did that... [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom