• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Blueprint for Action: Preventing Youth Violence in Minneapolis

doctorbossman

NES Member
Does anyone here remember when Obama stood in front of the nation's TV cameras and announced his package of "Sensible Gun Control" measures including his nearly 2 dozen executive orders? The backdrop was Minneapolis and that city's success in reducing youth violence. He got in front of the cameras and touted how that city reduced violence by 40% then pleaded for more gun control. By proximity he was tying gun control to decreased violence in Minneapolis.

Well, I was impressed by Minneapolis' success, so I looked into what they did to achieve it. The plan was called "Blueprint for Action" and briefly it had 4 goals:
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/health/yvp/dhfs_blueprint
1- connect youth to trusted adults
2- intervene at the first sign of risk of violence
3- restore youth who have gone down the wrong path
4- unlearn the culture of violence.

I was curious as to goal #4 and which gun control measures were adopted to reach that goal. Here is it:
"Support sensible illegal gun laws and work to change community valuesaround the acceptance of guns. This includes seeking stronger penalties forpeople who sell and distribute illegal guns, and profit from the sale and
distribution of illegal guns to young people."

So they support enforcement of laws already on the books.

Now when I get into a 2A, AWB, Mag limit, background check or any "sensible gun control" discussion, I bring up Minneapolis. Obama did it. I plead with anti's to build on success and that it's crazy to do the same things (like AWB) and expect different results. Violence control works... gun control doesn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about the long rant.
I know what people here will say... that anti's don't want to hear facts, and they just want to do what "feels" right. And I agree. I just can't help myself. Trying to convince the world.

Back
Top Bottom