Black Bears

And they definately don't taste like chicken.

Nope, the two I got were very tough. Took a good marinade and careful cooking. Stew works best.

Most you'll never see. They will take off if they know you are around.

That said, DO NOT be careless with food. Seems some of the bears are getting to know that the smell of certain plastics mean a box with food in it. (coolers)

One point to remember is that black bears and brown bears are different.
You can play dead with a brown bear and it may go away.
Black bears NEVER stop an attack.

That is true, because black bears prefer to eat their food fresh, while browns like it to age (rot) for a while. So the moral of the story is if you are attacked by a blackie fight back with every ounce you have.

Oh, that's real alright.

Here's a photo taken just prior to the attack:
Timandpedobear.jpg

a little old for that bear, no?[laugh2]

not a black bear, but watch this. . .

http://www.hunttv.com/video/latest/26

Whoa. That was cool! Been talking to my youngest boy about doing an Allagash Wilderness trip some day, before I get too damned old. I just showed him this video and asked him if he still wanted to go.

He didn't flinch. Figures if you have a gun and can be quick with it, things should work out OK. (I'm the one secretly having second thoughts [shocked]).

not a black bear, but watch this. . .

http://www.hunttv.com/video/latest/26

Wow, nice. Reminds me of a bear the Sheriff told me about at Sugarloaf Campground in NH. He said it was a small black bear that had been hanging around the campsites, he had to go up and try to shoo it away because it was ripping into tents and things. When he finally confronted it he said he shot a round near it to scare it away and it basically looked at him and gave him the finger [smile]. Finally, on the second shot it took off running and wasn't seen after that.

My sister lives in Northampton. We've seen a lot of bears in her back yard. Her Beagle dissapeared on night, and we suspect it may have been a bear.

They've never bothered us. There was one day after a snow storm when snow had piled up against the picture window in front of the house. My Mother and I looked out, and a bear and her cub were walking up the snow drift with only the thin window glass between us. I don't think they even noticed us through the glass, but it was sure an up close and personal inspection of the bears for us.

My sister lives in Northampton. We've seen a lot of bears in her back yard. Her Beagle dissapeared on night, and we suspect it may have been a bear.

Funny thing about beagles. They follow their nose. Sometimes they don't even look up until they're miles from home and hopelessly lost. I've often wondered why they don't just follow their nose back home, but for some reason it doesn't work that way.

I wonder if coyotes got it.

Back
Top Bottom