Black Bear in Otis, MA?

I have not had any experience in moving bears but I'm sure the game wardens have plenty of places they relocate animals to..I guess you could move him up north or a little west although I guess it really doesn't matter.

Moving the bear isn't the problem. Its the lawsuit when the "problem bear" is moved somewhere new and injures or kills someone in its new location. Many F&G departments no longer relocate problem bears. The bear won't change and the liability is high. It just becomes the same problem in a new location.

Moving the bear isn't the problem. Its the lawsuit when the "problem bear" is moved somewhere new and injures or kills someone in its new location. Many F&G departments no longer relocate problem bears. The bear won't change and the liability is high. It just becomes the same problem in a new location.
Where are you getting your information from? The only liability F&G is concerned with is if the animal is harvested, during the regulated season and it has residual drugs in it's system. 2 years ago they moved one from the Cape to western Ma. 3 weeks later it showed up in Brookline. They moved it again.

...I was one of those "Game Wardens" Sgt. Massachusetts Environmental Police (Ret) I have moved many bears only to have them return to the area that we took them from....

I believe it.

1) Slightly related: I recall my brother-in-law repeatedly catching mice in "humane" traps, putting them in his Jeep, driving to the other side of town, and releasing them.

Only when he began "tagging" them (Yep. Nail polish.), did he realize that they were the same mice coming back into his pantry.

2) Slight detour of thread: Every single time I visit the Worcester area I see and smell skunk. Some have said it's the worst summer (largest number) of skunks, due to the declining fox population.

Virtually no one complained about the declining fox population, because the myth was that ALL foxes carried rabies...However apparently the raptor population has been increasing.

Nature is funny.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of bear this yr. I always get a bear tag just in case, but this yr I think ill take extra time to focus on bear season.

I heard the bear was getting into the cabins where the kids were sleeping and ransacking the place. When they tried to scare it off it rushed at them and had no fear of humans. I love bears but sometimes they gotta go

Found this posting on another forum, describing the incident with more detail

http://www.maanglers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=240194&postcount=7

"The bear had broken into a Camper's screened porch, and was confronted by the campground owner, who was charged by the bear through the screen. The owner put 6 shots from his 357 into the bear, and was found justified by witnesses.

The 2 EPO's followed the bear's blood trail in the woods until they came upon him, at which they put a merciful end to him. "

Last edited:
I had a bear break a screen and climb into my three season porch. When I came in contact with this bear it was not afraid of me in the least. And in the last two weeks the bear has gone into my garage and several neighbors garages and caused a real mess. I wish I could find it so I could dispatch it and have a nice dinner. But it seems other than when it went into my porch it has been hitting in the middle of the night. I do not want to call anyone because that would imply that I need there help. I wish we could bait, this bear would be gone by now.

I got my bear tag this season did not pre-season for bear at all $5 to legally shoot a bear is completely worth the off chance. But I am kicking myself, only 5 days left of bear season and not a single sighting. Any body heard rumors of one near Brimfield MA?

3 in my back yard three or four nights a week trying to get my bird feeders. I put the feeders on a clothes line about 15' high. Just out of reach. It's fun watching the bigger one reaching up and just missing.
Once in a while they drag my trash barrel into the woods.
I grew up near where I live now and spent my youth in the woods. Never even heard if bears around my area, but as of about ten years ago they are everywhere. Three in my neighborhood and at least two others near the lake across town from me.
If I liked bear meat I'd take one, but I usually put two dear and a turkey or two in the freezer if I have a good season, so no need to whack the critter in my case.

Back
Top Bottom