• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bird seed for tumbling

one-eyed Jack

Manufacturer
Wanted to tumble a batch of .45 acp cases in my home-made tumbler (mini-cement mixer) and found that the last of my walnut shells were no longer effective.Then I spotted a bag of the bird seed that I feed the outside birds with. Used some of that and it worked great. I'll only use it on straight walled cases, however. Jack.

Are crushed walnut shells expensive? I came across a few 50 pound bags that were left over from a sandblasting setup but unfortunately they got thrown away with the rest of the building. I wish I had known that they could have been useful to re-loaders I would have offered them up to members here. Live and learn I guess!

I have found that corn cob grit is the best media for the $. A 50lb bag goes for less than $30. It is available from an outfit call Beede in Lowell (978-452-8906).

Wanted to tumble a batch of .45 acp cases in my home-made tumbler (mini-cement mixer) and found that the last of my walnut shells were no longer effective.Then I spotted a bag of the bird seed that I feed the outside birds with. Used some of that and it worked great. I'll only use it on straight walled cases, however. Jack.

Do the birds like it after ? [laugh2]

Then you could feed it to those pesty birds that keep crapping on your washed vehicle.[rofl]

Back
Top Bottom