• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bird is the word...

ccm75

NES Member
Sitting in my recliner watching some Sunday night TV. Texting with my friend about our Columbus Day grouse hunt.

I asked my yellow lab Scout if he was "ready to get some BIRDS". Dog starts running around the house barking going crazy. My wife is like "why do you do that to him?"...I shot some video but can't load it. He knows the word BIRD means a mouth full of feathers and he wants some.... Dog is ready to roll...!!

Lol.. I do the same thing to my lab. To say we’re both excited about the upcoming upland season would be an understatement.

Last year was his first actually season but we didn’t get out enough. This year I took every Wednesday off to spend more time in the woods. Boss isn’t thrilled but oh well.

He did great last year but my shooting sucked. I’ve since spend some time on the trap range and my shooting has greatly improved.

It’s gonna be a good fall.

Good luck out there.

On the contrary....my wife and got a walker coon hound pup a year and a half ago through a rescue league. We figured we'd try him in the woods and see what happens......squirrel or pheasant is what we figured we'd see if he had any interest in. We trained him on recall in the woods all summer.....figured the most important factor was getting him to come when called before we tried to see if he had any prey drive. He's trained great at coming back.....I can walk him in the woods and he'll always come back to me with one call to him.......he even "checks in" on his own every 10 minutes or so. Took him to a pheasant field last fall just to see what he'd do......ZERO prey drive in him. He had a rooster and a hen strut 5 feet from him and he didn't even show an interest. No big deal.......he's a great pet but I don't want to waste my time trying anything further with hunting if he has no drive. Even in the back yard......he shows no interest in squirrels birds or anything like that......but.....he's a cool dude and we love him.

I missed the last two grouse seasons in the North Maine Woods with a bone-on-bone hip problem. Sucked.
Got new parts installed last January and am going nuts with anticipation for this year!!
Look out birds, here I come! (Most will be very safe)

With the cooler weather we're having, I grabbed a jacket to wear yesterday, which I often wear when we're after pheasant. The pups were all over it. The jacket had been laundered, and been in the closet for at least six months.

With the cooler weather we're having, I grabbed a jacket to wear yesterday, which I often wear when we're after pheasant. The pups were all over it. The jacket had been laundered, and been in the closet for at least six months.
They don't miss the scent that's for sure. Last year when I got home after a successful deer hunt.....(blood on my overalls and sleeves) I though my wife's mini schnauzers wanted to rape me!!!!

Back
Top Bottom