Binoculars or spotting scope

I only shoot handguns and I'm in need of some sort of opitcal aid at the range. I gave some thought to a spotting scope but they take up a lot of room in a booth.

So I was thinking of just using binoculars instead. I was also thinking about getting one of those cases with the scope mounted in it.

Any suggestions?

That's a nice box. I kinda like the idea of the box because I have a red dot sight on top of my 22-45. As of now I've been using a Nikon 10-22 X50 binolular on a shoulder harness. It's big but the harness takes the weight off my neck and the binocular has enough power for spotting holes in 100 or 200 yard targets. I'll put it on a tripod when I can because higher power binocs can be a tad "shakey".

Disadvantage to binoculars is that you have to put the gun down to check your shots. Spotting scope on stand lets you lean over and then return to firing position easier and quicker.

Visually, I suspect that the spotting scope is a lot easier to spot holes with for the same/similar money. Celestron (sp?) scope for ~$160ish is supposedly the cat's meow! Do an Advanced Search on these forums for Celestron and you'll find some very good info on them.

Back
Top Bottom