• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Biden - Progress on those 23 executive actions:

MaverickNH

NES Member
Email received 12/2 10pm - they haven't given up yet. Note they are trying to spin that lie about 1.5 million felons denied differently now. With a 95%+ false-positive rate, 1.5 million over 14 years isn't a clear lie - just an exaggerations.

Follow the link and read the weasel-words: clarified steps to help federal agencies begin the process ... and BS like that. Just like Wonderbread spread with Lard is "part of a balanced breakfast", when it's Wonderbread with real butter and bacon kids should be eating daily. [wink]

Twenty years ago, President Clinton signed the Brady Bill into law.

That law said that if you want to purchase a firearm from a federally licensed dealer in this country, you have to get a background check first. It was a historic piece of legislation -- one that's kept 1.5 million of the wrong people from getting their hands on a firearm in the last 14 years.

But in the wake of the tragedy in Newtown -- a year ago this month -- we know we've got to keep working to build on that progress.

And so even after a minority of Senators blocked commonsense legislation to reduce gun violence this spring, we're pushing forward.

President Obama laid out 23 executive actions to make sure the Administration took essential and rapid steps to save lives while respecting our Second Amendment rights. And since January, we've completed or made significant progress on all of them.

President Obama is keeping his word to make sure our families and communities are safe. See the progress we've made.

Those 23 executive actions are keeping guns out of dangerous hands. They're providing support for communities to hire school resource officers. And they're reducing the stigma around mental illness.

Now, it's not enough to take these steps on our own -- we still need Congress to pass comprehensive legislation to reduce gun violence. We need expanded background checks, and we need to create serious penalties for gun trafficking. There is no question that these kinds of measures would protect our kids and keep our communities safer.

No parent should ever face the horror of the scene at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Or a movie theater in Aurora. Or a temple in Oak Creek. Or the campus at Virginia Tech.

We've seen too much gun violence as a country. And if there's even one thing we can do to save a life, it is our most sacred duty to try.

That's where I stand. And you have my word that the President and I are doing everything we can to make sure no parent loses their child to gun violence.

Take a look at the progress we've made:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/Reducing-Gun-Violence

Thank you,

Joe

Last edited:
FBI Press Release: NICS Turns 15 - Stats Show Success of FBI’s Gun Background Check System

"...Since its inception, the NICS has processed more than 177 million background checks requested by gun sellers, or federal firearms licensees (FFLs). On its busiest days, the system processes more than 10,000 automated checks an hour across 94 million records in FBI criminal databases, including the National Crime Information Center (NCIC), the Interstate Identification Index (III), and the NICS index of 11 million individuals who fall into certain categories that prohibit them from receiving firearms (see sidebar). Nine out of 10 NICS determinations are instantaneous, so FFLs know immediately whether to proceed with transactions or deny them. To date, NICS queries of criminal databases have resulted in 1,065,090 denials, with 88,479 in 2012 alone.

The statistics for denials can stand on their own with regards to how well the system works in keeping firearms out of the hands of those who shouldn’t have them,” said Steve Fischer, a spokesman for NICS, which is run by the Bureau’s Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division in West Virginia."

NICS employs nearly 500 people and operates 17 hours a day (8 a.m. to 1 a.m.), 364 days a year (closed on Christmas).

Wow - 11 million prohibited persons is 3.5 per 100 in the USA. About 1 in 200 are in prison, so maybe 3 in 100 would be, as the FBI says: "The most common reasons for denials are prior criminal convictions, domestic violence, drug history, and fugitive status."

As John Lott showed in 2010

"In 2010, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms dropped over 94 percent of those “initial denials” after just preliminary reviews. Virtually all the remaining cases were dropped after further investigation by ATF field offices or the Department of Justice. Few of these “initial denials,” 62 people or about 0.1 percent, involved strong enough evidence to be consideration for prosecution. Just 13 pleaded guilty or were convicted."

Based on these 2010 stats, only about 88 of the 2012 denials might have been considered for prosecution. At the same 2010 conviction rate, that's 18 criminals off the streets. Even at a 100% conviction rate - only 88 criminals off the streets.

That would be less than 1 conviction per 5 NICS employees. I guess Steve Fischer from FBI didn't actually lie ... the statistics on how well NICS keeps guns out of the hands of the wrong people stand on their own.
Maybe money better spent elsewhere?

Last edited:
FBI Press Release: NICS Turns 15 - Stats Show Success of FBI’s Gun Background Check System

"...Since its inception, the NICS has processed more than 177 million background checks requested by gun sellers, or federal firearms licensees (FFLs). On its busiest days, the system processes more than 10,000 automated checks an hour across 94 million records in FBI criminal databases, including the National Crime Information Center (NCIC), the Interstate Identification Index (III), and the NICS index of 11 million individuals who fall into certain categories that prohibit them from receiving firearms (see sidebar). Nine out of 10 NICS determinations are instantaneous, so FFLs know immediately whether to proceed with transactions or deny them. To date, NICS queries of criminal databases have resulted in 1,065,090 denials, with 88,479 in 2012 alone.

The statistics for denials can stand on their own with regards to how well the system works in keeping firearms out of the hands of those who shouldn’t have them,” said Steve Fischer, a spokesman for NICS, which is run by the Bureau’s Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division in West Virginia."

NICS employs nearly 500 people and operates 17 hours a day (8 a.m. to 1 a.m.), 364 days a year (closed on Christmas).

Wow - 11 million prohibited persons is 3.5 per 100 in the USA. About 1 in 200 are in prison, so maybe 3 in 100 would be, as the FBI says: "The most common reasons for denials are prior criminal convictions, domestic violence, drug history, and fugitive status."

As John Lott showed in 2010

"In 2010, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms dropped over 94 percent of those “initial denials” after just preliminary reviews. Virtually all the remaining cases were dropped after further investigation by ATF field offices or the Department of Justice. Few of these “initial denials,” 62 people or about 0.1 percent, involved strong enough evidence to be consideration for prosecution. Just 13 pleaded guilty or were convicted."

Based on these 2010 stats, only about 88 of the 2012 denials might have been considered for prosecution. At the same 2010 conviction rate, that's 18 criminals off the streets. Even at a 100% conviction rate - only 88 criminals off the streets.

That would be less than 1 conviction per 5 NICS employees. Maybe money better spent elsewhere?
What are you heartless? Do you want children to die!? Think of the children! It's for the children!

A lot of cancer patients are losing their doctors and hospitals due to Obamacare. So, we should repeal Obamacare if it would save just one of their lives, right? I guess that stupid argument only works if you're a liberal wanting to gut 2A rights. [thinking]

So lets see:
179,526,447 checks to date an average of 11,968,429 per year, with 1,065,090 denials over 12 years or about 71,000 per year and a whopping 88,497 denials in 2012 when the number of checks was 19,593, 303 checks! Seems like the rate of denials is decreasing to me.

Last edited:
And how many of the "legitimate" NICS denials for genuine prohibited persons are actually hardcore criminals? How many weren't even aware they were PP's, either because of some crime 30 years ago that just got digitized into the system, or a misdafelony, etc.?

And how many of the "legitimate" NICS denials for genuine prohibited persons are actually hardcore criminals? How many weren't even aware they were PP's, either because of some crime 30 years ago that just got digitized into the system, or a misdafelony, etc.?

My stockbroker was denied because of a ticket he got and forgot about for an expired inspection sticker back in the early 90's.

it boils my blood when these ****ing idiots simply add "common sense" to everything. No, making me a felon if I lend my firearm to my friend & fellow LTC holder doesn't make any effing sense.

There are a lot of Blah blah blah bullet points in there that don't do shit.

Begun to address, encouraged, reviewed,began investments, took steps? All just nonsense to make it look like something was being done.

Last edited:

Supposedly about 6 million persons in the US that might be prohibited as felons, with about 60% convicted of non-violent crimes. So that leaves 2.4 million violent felons out there - maybe a third in jail (who are no doubt buying guns without background checks on the internet).

So does anyone here not have a problem with FFLs using the NICS system? Frankly I don't see the issue, though there are things I'd like to see fixed (like what statutes qualify one as a PP).

Mike

serious penalties for gun trafficking.

Don't they make Attorney General for that?

how about a common sense approach to the ACA...like repealing it.

Last edited:
serious penalties for gun trafficking.

Don't they make Attorney General for that?

how about a common sense approach to the ACA...like repealing it.

THIS. How many people of have been murdered thanks to F&F?

This sounds like a diversionary tactic to rile up the base and the help the POTUS' plummeting poll #s by reminding them how much they hate conservative and their icky gun rights and help them forget about how they have lost their H/C coverage or how their premiums and deductibles have tripled since last year.

So does anyone here not have a problem with FFLs using the NICS system? Frankly I don't see the issue, though there are things I'd like to see fixed (like what statutes qualify one as a PP).

Mike

The "issue" is someone's rights should not be contingent on asking permission from the government to exercise them. Of course the argument has always been "Well it's an "instant" check so its not really an infringement because it doesn't take a long time". [thinking]

If that's the case then the feds should have no problem paying fines out (for civil rights violations) every time they falsely delay or deny someone. (yeah right, like that would ever happen).

-Mike

"Prohibited person: dead or in prison." Wouldn't even NEED the NICS.....

Well unfortunately that will never happen. We also have issues of illegal immigration, that also seem to be unlikely to ever be resolved. So back in reality, anyone support the NICS system as it exists at FFLs (assuming they fix who is a PP)

Mike

All I know is I cannot wait till theses two douche bags are out off office...If sooner, even better.

I just hope they aren't replaced by folks that are actually effective at achieving their goals. I found myself wondering if the gun control push might have succeeded if the president had been Romney, or Christie.

"Prohibited person: dead or in prison." Wouldn't even NEED the NICS.....

Trying to find the flaw in that ... let's see ... hmmmm ... what about ... well, um, err ...

Nope - it's good.

Anyone who abuses firearms that is not on that short list should quickly end up: dead or in prison. But only in a society with a government that is worth a rat's ass... There be the fly in the ointment - how to compensate for bad personal responsibility, policing, prosecution, and courts with a bunch of laws.

There are a lot of Blah blah blah bullet points in there that don't do shit.

Begun to address, encouraged, reviewed,began investments, took steps? All just nonsense to make it look like something was being done.

My thoughts exactly. Political-speak, feel-good, smarmy blather. Trying to pin them down on any specifics would be like trying to nail jello to the wall.

I bet the writers had to sit around trying to come up with non-repetitive ways of saying nothing. "Hmm, we already used 'took steps' once and 'encouraged' twice; how about 'begun to address' for this one? Or maybe 'embarked on a focused, multi-step strategic initiative'?"

Mike

Personally I have always had a sneaking suspicion that the records have been kept, In spite of the fact it's supposed to be illegal to do so.
Look what Snowden opened our eyes to that otherwise would have been denied to the bitter end as tinfoil.
On it's face, the system if used as designed seems harmless enough.
Then there's the people running it....

Back
Top Bottom