Biathalon?

Coyote

I work at Ethan Allen Firing Range and we have an EXCELLENT BIATHLON Range. We are the HOST Range every other year and we do International, Regional as well as CISM. We have a very well outfitted range with Paved trails for Summer use and Snow Making equipment and groomers. Our IMPACT AREA is the base of Mount Mansfield.
We have the Regional Biathlon coming up Feb 17 thru the 25, I believe are the right dates. I will be up there at the range this weekend and can get you more info and a POC if you would like.
The way it works is simple, but a few years back a 42 year old man won. You ski a 7 kilometer course, come in and you have 8 rds to knock 5 plates. If you fire the 8 rds and two plates are till standing, you need to do a Penalty Lap of 200 meters for each still standing plate BEFORE continuing on your next course. So if you are a Good skier and good shot you may win. If you are a great skiier and miss a few plates you may lose. Etc etc.
Feel free to PM me if you want more info and I will give you Phone numbers etc.

A man named Fred Meyer is working on his third summer of very informal biathlons at the Harvard Sportsmen's Club. He stated at the club meeting last Thursday that they will resume in June, Friday evenings, 6:00. They run a loop (approximately 2K as I recall), then shoot paper targets with 22 rimfire, then run, then shoot, etc. They don't have the fancy steel targets of the Olympics, so they score the paper after they're complete and add appropriate time penalties. But it's really more about enjoyment and personal improvement than competition.

About 10 years ago I participated in a similar biathlon at Harvard. Instead of running we mountain biked on a trail in the woods. Between laps we stopped at one of the ranges and shot .22 pistols at steel plates.

My friends thought I would have an advantage over them seeing as I was the only shooter in our group. Instead, I lost my chain once, went over the handlebars once, and when it came time to shoot it was raining and I couldn't see through my fogged glasses. Not only was I the slowest biker, but I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

To say I finished dead last would be charitable; to say I was humbled would be an understatement. Still, given better conditions and less challenging terrain I'd do it again.

Back
Top Bottom