• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Better Be Planting This Year. 2022+ And Up MEGATHREAD

My wife has been pulling lettuce these past few days, grabbed radish today. Radish was still small, she was just excited to see how they were doing.

Strawberries in the greenstalk are doing well. Had a couple of mater plants that already had maters on 'em, took those off and will be staking the plants with my son tomorrow.

Oh, hey - for those unaware, Johnny's Seeds has, on their site, a page of handy-dandies:
which includes:
with such items as a convenient spreadsheet pre-populated with data for determining fall harvest seed starting dates (generally speaking - YMMV for specific varieties). Just add your first frost date. I, for instance, will be starting brassicas very soon.

I've got a deer problem. Not a rabbit problem. Harvesting zucchini, summer squash, peas and butter crunch lettuce now.

Attachments

• IMG_20230706_161457_01.jpg
    IMG_20230706_161457_01.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20230707_195138878.jpg
    PXL_20230707_195138878.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20230707_201924281.jpg
    PXL_20230707_201924281.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20230707_195126588.jpg
    PXL_20230707_195126588.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
I didn't take photo's but something is eating the leaves on my entire garden. it is at another locations yard so I don't see it every day. I saw what looked like poppy seeds in one place, some type of poop perhaps.
any thoughts or eradication tips on such little to go with. should've taken pictures but was doing yard and dont like to carry it on my person. thanks in advance

I didn't take photo's but something is eating the leaves on my entire garden. it is at another locations yard so I don't see it every day. I saw what looked like poppy seeds in one place, some type of poop perhaps.
any thoughts or eradication tips on such little to go with. should've taken pictures but was doing yard and dont like to carry it on my person. thanks in advance
make sure you check under the leaves for eggs. It could probably be lots of things but Colorado potato bugs are eating my garden for the second year. You can google pics of them. Pic of one of my mangled eggplants next to a happy pepper below. Last year I was able to get them early and it was ok. Just crushed the eggs and baby bugs. This year I can’t get down there every day and they have done a number. They will apparently eat anything but are supposed to prefer nightshade. In my garden they like the eggplant and squash. Lady bugs and stink bugs are natural predators. Unfortunately for me I killed about a dozen stink bugs before I knew that because they were all over the plants and I assumed they were eating them. Almost as bad as fencing the rat in the garden earlier this year.

Japanese beetles are another one I have delt with in the past. You can buy bag traps for them.

IMG_2376.jpeg

If it ever stops raining here my garden just might grow. Crazy! :(
This is probably the worst garden ever. All the plants are so small. Lost some squash when the stems split because of too much water. Pepper plants are tiny.
Wax beans look good and the lettuce was OK. I leep hoping it will bounce back but it's late July and there isn't even 1 squash on any of my winter squash plants.
If they don't form soon I doubt they will be ripe before the first frost.

Giant waste of time and money this year.

My flowers do look great though.

My garden just keeps getting uglier with mud and weeds. But overall it is starting to really produce. Lettuce, arugula, basil, peas, carrots, cucumbers and hot peppers are coming like crazy. Sweet peppers almost ready. Tons of tomatoes that are still green. And even a couple zucchini from my plants that were devoured by bugs. But the skin on the zucchini looks gross. Given the lack of attention as all the rain I’m pretty happy.

IMG_2392.jpeg

Very nice. Trying to plan a garden for next year in the new house (couldn't do it this year). How much sun per day do I need? Looking to plant tomato, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, maybe a couple more to start. Best place in my backyard for me doesn't get full sun, but still need to track how many hours it gets. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom