Best Handgun Safe (With Kids)

I am looking for a safe/secure easy access handgun safe for a room in case of unexpected guests. I have kids so I want something they can’t get into.

I currently just have my .40 in range case the gun came with a lock on it.

Probably will buy a small light as well to put in the hand gun safe if anyone has ideas on that as well.

Thanks Y’all

I use a Ft Knox top-opener with simplex lock. No batteries to worry about, quick and quiet to open. A bit pricey for the size but when your family's life may depend on it being both secure against unauthorized access and easily accessible for you, the cost does not seem so high.

There's a series of videos online about pistol safes.

View: https://vimeo.com/153853275

Every safe has it's limitations. This safe is 100% mechanical, so there's no lockout for repeated bad entries. The reviewer claims he worked through every possible combination in 15 minutes.

This guy reviewed a bunch of different pistol safes, might be worth viewing.

I like the Ft Knox for how heavy the metal is.

With it's size if you stash it somewhere without mounting, it will slow someone from access though it's only 20 lb plus contents so a bad actor could just walk off with the whole thing. For kids it's unlikely to accidentally open it or be an easy pry target.

I really like my FAS1 Safe. It has the simplex lock but also has the option to lock out and disable the simplex lock by a key.

It presents the pistol very nicely so there is no light needed IMO.

I second these safes. Although they cost more money than most, their steel is much thicker. Check out their website for different ways of mounting them to your bed frame or nightstand.

Check out fas1 safes. Mechanical lock with optional key, so no electronics to worry about. Opens quickly and easily with a little practice. When opening it presents the gun at an angle for easy draw. I have one and I like it. They also have a 15% off sale going on at the moment ;)

Ft Knox. I like that you can use two buttons at once so your combo could be 1, 3-4, 5. After a little practice I can open mine in the dark no problem. The weight is nice (thicker steel than most). The pneumatic lifters are pretty weak on mine. They hold it open, but once you start to close it it'll slam. It's a non-issue for me, though.

I assume you're not trying to keep a 16-year-old out because nothing will.

Best way to keep a 16-year old out of your gun safe is to take him shooting...regularly. ;)
WTF is wrong with this state and the people in it? When I was 16, my shotgun was under my bed and I was reloading my own ammunition. None of the guns in the house were locked in any way. But, that was in a free state. How about teach your kids to respect your guns and use theirs responsibly?

The Ft Knox is nice heavy gauge steel, but the Simplex lock is only medium/casual security. There are only 1082 possible combinations, unless you use the undocumented "half button press" feature. Simplex does not advertise it, but each push actually rotates the internal mechanism by 2 units, so you can "half press" to get many more combinations (including re-use of a half-pressed button later in the combination).

Worse yet, if you use 3 buttons (probably the most common scenario), there are 130 possible combinations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom