• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best foods for bug out bags.

I've read hundreds of different people's bug out lists, what do you guys keep for food.

Best items seem to be-

Tuna pouches
Beef jerky
Lipton instant soup
Protein/granola/any kind of sport bar
Hard candy
3 day Datrex bars
MREs/mountain house dehydrated food

What are you guys thoughts?

Peanut Butter
Pilot Crackers
Coffee!!!
Hot Chocolate
Sports drink powder
Hot Sauce
Canned Chix
Sardines
Honey

If you have the means to cook, pasta, beans, rice, oatmeal.

I think it depends on how long it will take you to hike to your bug out location.

Don't have a BOL ?
Pitching a tent in the woods and planning on eating squirrels isn't a plan.

Better to "bug in" then.

also a consideration how long it will take to get to your BOL.
if it's day walk than you can get away with snacks assuming you have a food stock at the destination.

if it's several days walk -then you will need to some high fat high, high carb food to replenish about 9-12k calories a 12-hour day walk will take out of your body. Walking while carrying heavy load will take out a lot more than going for a couple of hours light stroll will.

your food also needs to be needs to be non-perishable and not too heavy. so anything in steel or glass cans should be limited to the minimum if not eliminated at all.
back in the old country when we were servicing a relay post up in the middle of nowhere. we lived off of pasta, barley and pork tushonka for month on end. it was boring food after a while but it was food that sustained us well. worth mentioning that tushonka consisted only about 15 to 20% of a total daily caloric intake.

we also drank sweet tea for every meal.

also vitamins and minerals intake during physically strained prolong activities are very important. make sure you drink plenty of water too, while on the go carrying heavy load you will need as much as twice water that you would normally use. so have means for purifying it instead of carrying a gallon for each day of travel.

Last edited:
Ramen noodles. Vacuum packed tuna pouches.

“.....canned meats, canned tuna, canned vegetables, dried pasta, dehydrated soups, chocolate, milk powder, marmalades [jams/jellies], soups, rice and dried beans.” - ferfal from Survival in Argentina

Another consideration is where are you storing your BOB? In the house protected from temperature extremes you have more options than if you're storing it in your garage or car. Keep in mind that you will have to bring extra water for any food that needs to have water added.

If storing in garage or car, stick with something like Datrex/Mainstay bars and Datrex water pouches or AquaBlox. Those are rated for 5 years at a wide range of temperatures. Downside is those bars are not nutritionally complete, so are for short term only. You could tuck some Emergen-C packets in there for vitamins, just make sure you have a water bottle to mix them in.

In the mid '80s I climbed Mt Katadin with 6 cold McDonalds cheeseburgers and a bicycle water bottle. My partners carried a 30 pack of bud , the other a raw prime rib in a newspaper boy delivery bag. They didn't make it , but climbing down the next morning for steak and beer was nice.

My current BoB has a pair of Mountain House meals , some instant coffee , a dark chocolate bar and a wide mouth nalgene stuffed with most of an MRE.

I slowly load the pack up with too much stuff , and dump it in the stash at my BOL. Because of the nature of my storage I lean heavily towards dry/dehydrated - lots of water there and sub freezing temps for long periods.

Don't forget fishing line, hooks, lures so you can catch your own food. The line and hooks can also be used to trap rabbits and squirrels.

Ensure the tuna is packed in oil. Tuna packed in water will freeze. The oil also provides some essential fats. Peanut butter. More than you care to eat. A tablespoon of peanut butter and half a dozen rat traps will put a pound of protein in your pot. Forget everything you wasted your time learning about traps and snares. Victory figured it out about 150 years ago ;-)

my day to day go bag has power bars trail mix and a can of soup. plus whatever i packed for lunch that day

my bug out back has mre's a couple backs of trail mix a few cans of soup and beans

Whatever you choose, make sure it's food you eat, at least some what regularly. You don't want to be forcing down food you can't stand in the middle of an emergency (it WILL have an affect on your ability to perform), AND you don't want to be dealing with the results if the food doesn't agree with your digestive systems. A lot of dehydrated, long term storage and emergency food products (MRE, Mountain House, Datrex) use some funky preservatives. I've done some backpacking trips with guys who've packed foods like that without trying them out first, and it hasn't ended well for them...

Back
Top Bottom