Best Bullet for Stag Arms Upper

Patriot

NES Member
I've got a 5.56x45 Stag Arms Upper with 20" Heavy Barrel, 1:9 twist and was wondering
what your opinion would be for the optimum bullet size/type to use with this? Or does it
matter? I see a lot of discussion on bullet types and sizes relative to twist and length
and don't know if this is just talk or if it really is important.

DCP_0999a.jpg

I found that 55gr bullets gave me poor results at 100yds (1.5 in five shot groups) in my 1/9 DPMS bull barrel. A switch to Sierra 69gr HPBT bullets shrunk the group to .343 at 100yds and just a tad over two inches at 300yds. The lower price of the 55s can't be ignored; I use them for practice at 100yds or less and save the expensive stuff for longer distances.

I found that 55gr bullets gave me poor results at 100yds (1.5 in five shot groups) in my 1/9 DPMS bull barrel. A switch to Sierra 69gr HPBT bullets shrunk the group to .343 at 100yds and just a tad over two inches at 300yds. The lower price of the 55s can't be ignored; I use them for practice at 100yds or less and save the expensive stuff for longer distances.

Good info. Thanks. I'm lucky if I can see out beyond 100 yards so the 55's sound like the
best route and buy a couple of boxes of the nice Sierra's to see what the rich people shoot.
BTW, if I can do 1.5" at 100 yards no optics, with these old eyes, I would be ecstatic! [smile]

Back
Top Bottom