• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best AR Muzzle Break/Compensator?

Put the YHM Slant Brake/Comp on my wife's AR. Haven't shot it much myself, but seems to work well. Not as loud as some of the other brakes I've seen/used either.

The problem with this topic whenever it's discussed is that very few if any of us actually have the money or time to try all of the available options so at best we may have a sample of 1,or 2 different ones and once something works decent we usually stop there.

I appreciate the suggestions I will check these out. Since there is a thread already I thought I'd ask here instead of start a new.
I was more concerned with the MA compliancy.
Is a compensated that list flash reduction as a feature OK per MA law

+1000 these are the only comps ill use now. And ive tried a bunch of them

Griffin makes a great product that compares w/ a battlecomp, for way less.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

The problem with this topic whenever it's discussed is that very few if any of us actually have the money or time to try all of the available options so at best we may have a sample of 1,or 2 different ones and once something works decent we usually stop there.

Yep, most try one brake and call it the best brake ever, but have nothing to compare it against

I have tried many many many brakes. Here are some simple facts.

1) The battlecomp is overprices man jewelry. Its only about 60% as effective as a $35 Miculek.
2) Comps/brakes are loud. Period. If it works, its loud.

The best that I've use are as follows:

1) SJC Lund
2) Bennie Hill Rolling Thunder
3) Bennie Cooley by JP

I have not tried the JP recoil eliminator.

All of the best comps are large, long, and LOUD.

There is no way around it. Everything else is 2nd or 3rd tier unless you get into custom stuff that is specifically tuned to the strength of your main spring and the reciprocating mass. (Buffer and BCG)

Sorry, but thats just the way it is.

Don

Did they all have the same gas system, buffer weight, barrel length and Using the same ammo?
Fify

Not 100% on buffer weight but all the guns my friends had where the sand basic build.
16" carbine. I wasn't picking out a break for lessing recoil.
I just cared about the flash and sound behind the gun.
Before I started my build most of the ar's I shot had a target crown , or comps that the flash messed with my eyes in lower light.

Fify

Not 100% on buffer weight but all the guns my friends had where the sand basic build.
16" carbine. I wasn't picking out a break for lessing recoil.
I just cared about the flash and sound behind the gun.
Before I started my build most of the ar's I shot had a target crown , or comps that the flash messed with my eyes in lower light.

Why get a brake if you ar worried about noise or flash?

Why get a brake if you are worried about noise or flash?

I went with a yhm flash hider.
I personally don't like a target crown on ar's I'm not sure why but shooting colddayinhell just didn't like it.

Some of the comps and breaks I shot direct the sound right at you and big flash at the top in my line of sight.

Breaks and comps I like are more like the older Barrett tank break. Just having ports on the side and direct the gasses/sound around you more then at you. I could care less about the people around me.
I'm building a dmr style ar and the break/comp I'm looking at the ports on the side are angled up so it pushes the muzzle down.

I don't shoot real events like you but when I feel like I've gotten good enough ill most def invest in buying a bunch and testing more. But for now what I use works for me . 90% of the time when I'm shooting my ar it's plinking or at cars.

If you like tank brakes then try a JP recoil eliminator.

Supermoto, have you ever shot one?

I haven't but they are supposed to be great. They are not widely used because I believe that they are too big to be legal in most competitions.

One other one, is the miculek brake. It does not have any top ports. It exerts some down force by having the tops of the side ports extend up slightly higher than the bottom edge of the ports.

BEN - If you want to try one I can meet you at MRA and loan you one for a couple weeks. At $35, I've always got a spare.

Don

Last edited:
I guess that depends what is meant by "best". Best price? Best braking? Best recoil reducing? Best looking? Most popular?

Myself, I would be most interested in what looks closest to the A2 and does the best job of hiding flash, without actually being called a "flash hider". Recoil is nil on the .223/5.56, and noise sucks, so the less the better; same with dust.

Different compensators are designed for different things. If you are a police officer and have a buddy operating next to you, you don't want a Miculek because you'd blow the crap out of each other. A battlecomp, for instance, is designed to reduce muzzle rise, muzzle flash to some extent, and not be overly disruptive if you have someone operating to the side of you. It does all those things sort of well, but doesn't excel at any of them.

If you are in a 3 gun competition, you just want the best performance against muzzle rise, you don't care about the other stuff. In that case a Miculek is hard to beat.

So, High Speed Operator: Battlecomp

3 gun: Miculek

If you like tank brakes then try a JP recoil eliminator.

Supermoto, have you ever shot one?

Don

I have, it wasn't on my gun, but one that was set up very similar to mine, shot great. very little movement. They are only legal in Open division and the SJC, Rolling thunder work just as well and are legal in all divisions, so very few people use them. I would like to try a Seekins brake next

Wish Rainier made more of their black XTC's, I want another. [sad2]

I had a shop order me an AR last week. They asked me what brake I wanted to replace the flash hider and I said the Rainier XTC. So they called Rainier while I was there to get a price and the guy on the phone said they discontinued the XTC because it wasn't effective enough and that they replaced it with the RAC.

I haven't seen any reviews on the RAC but thought it was interesting that Rainier is saying their new RAC is more effective than the XTC.

Back
Top Bottom