Best AK??

yeah ive seen those links before.
but im missing a few things. those being; the tools to do it, the general know-how of how to take it apart more then a field strip, and the patience to do it. id damage the rifle either by accident or in frustration while trying to do it. im willing to pay someone to fix it, but no one either actualy knows how to do it, or wants to.

In that respect, I feel your pain. [sad2]

Not on mine. I have a Bulgarian Arsenal SLR-95.
The sight is mounted forward of the dust cover on the milled receiver.

Just an observation but mounting it that far forward makes for terrible sight radius. Not that an ak is that accurate anyway. [laugh]

Just an observation but mounting it that far forward makes for terrible sight radius. Not that an ak is that accurate anyway. [laugh]

Well, just about all AK's have their sights setup that way, that was one of the shortfalls of the design. That's one of the things that were improved on with the Galil & Valmet.

I am extremely partial to Norinco and Polytech..even in the boat paddle configuration...I paid $700 for my first NIB Preban and that was a deal 9 years ago.

Bulgarian Arsenals all the way... I own 5 and they are all of high quality with the exception of the stamped AK74 finishes

Last edited:
Bulgarian Arsenal milled receivers. I bought mine several years ago. I have seen them well over 1K on the auction sites. Sure glad I have one of each caliber.[smile]

I do have to admit my WASA 10 still is fun to shot. After all AK's are not a fine tuned rifle. Watch the Discovery Channels top 10 battle rifles and watch the AK video. You can see the barrel flex and the bolt jump all over the place. Still a great firearm....

Bulgarian Arsenal milled receivers. I bought mine several years ago. I have seen them well over 1K on the auction sites. Sure glad I have one of each caliber.[smile]

I do have to admit my WASA 10 still is fun to shot. After all AK's are not a fine tuned rifle. Watch the Discovery Channels top 10 battle rifles and watch the AK video. You can see the barrel flex and the bolt jump all over the place. Still a great firearm....

Me too- I have a SAM5 and a SAM7S

the Finish on my Milled Arsenal Sa93 is crap, but the gun is awsome otherwise.

but im missing a few things. those being; the tools to do it, the general know-how of how to take it apart more then a field strip, and the patience to do it. id damage the rifle either by accident or in frustration while trying to do it. im willing to pay someone to fix it, but no one either actualy knows how to do it, or wants to.

I have the same problem. I'm not confident enough to be able to fix the canted front sight as explained in those instructions. So for now I'm going with a red dot sight... although I still gotta get that red dot sight's mount to actually stay on w/o loosening up as I fire. I'll see how it does this weekend when I give it another try.

Bring it in to Zero Hour and have Marc straighten it out for you, just make sure you go out for coffee or something while he's doing it, cuz it taint pretty. [smile]

i actualy bought it at zero hour.
i already PMed marc months ago about it. he said he didnt have the time to fix the problem i described to him

When I pointed out the sight that was to the side, he suggested it may need to be there in order to be zeroed properly. He was actually wrong... it needs to be moved even more to the side to zero it, but it is as far over as it is going to go without doing something to it that's above my skill level. Hence why I have to use red dot.

I was a late convert to the AK but it's now one of my favorite rifles. It is no MOA paper puncher but is a genuine battle rifle (Ok, a carbine really) that's great out to 250 yards. My brother in PA bought a Yugo underfolder for $400 two years ago and I had to pay $900 for the same DAMN gun just so it was Mass Legal! [angry][angry][angry]
Don't expect to see prices go down on anything.[frown]
Sights on the Yugo are on the receiver just over the chamber. The only AKs I can think of with sights on the dust cover are the Valmet and the Galil but they are so tightly built they do not move. Go out of the Sheeple's Republic and try a Galil in 5.56 Nato! Fantastic![smile] I guess you could make one legal if you pin teh stock and replaced the f/h with a brake.[thinking]
Check out the the AKforum.net for so good advise.

Romanian SAR-1's have been good to me......Make sure the front sight is straight and the trigger slap won't break your finger and you are good to go. Have put a couple of thousand rounds through it....no problem....no stops.....Used to be able to pick them up real cheap.....

Back
Top Bottom