• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beretta Thoughts

Anybody have thoughts on the Beretta 92FS vs 96FS?

Aside from the 9mm vs .40 S&W and associated round capacity argument, is there any other reason why the 96 is not the way to go? I am speaking mechanically, etc. for this specific comparison, i.e. has there been any issues with the 96?

I have/do only own .40 cal and .45 firearms as I'm not a fan of the 9mm para round.

Thank in advance for your thoughts.

I love my 92 FS. It shoots great, I fit it with some Hogues and it fits my (big) hand better than any other 9mm auto that I have tried.

Keep it clean and oily and it will treat you right.

Big for CC though, I'd recommend something smaller for that

Thanks for your input guys. Ya, agreed the Beretta is a bit beefy for CC, I use a P229 for that. Along the lines of ammo cost, true 9mm is cheaper, but I have a couple other .40s (P229 & USP 40), being my caliber of choice and it is just a personal preference. Although somewhat intrigued by the fact the 92FS is the standard military sidearm, I usually do not base my purchases on it - handguns anyway.

I own a couple milsurp weapons such as a pre-ban Colt AR-15 (with later style lower with the magazine fence and the small hole front pivot pin, A2 style upper) and SA M1 Garand and have fun with those. The AR was my very first firearms purchase and the novelty still hasn't worn off, love to shoot it.

After more research it seems these two models are identical except for the barrels and slightly bigger upper. Strangely, the Beretta website doesn't even really mention the 96 except in the titles like 92FS/96FS. On the model page only the 92 is described...

Last edited:
I actually hate the Beretta and can't shoot it nearly as well as I can shoot most other pistols, even the Stigma. But I bought it because I'm military and need to figure out how to adapt to it.

I have never owned a 92FS but was issued and carried the M9 in the Army and qualified Expert on it. It sounds like you already have two great pistols with the P229 and the USP. For us poor schleps who live in Massachusetts, I'd definitely go with the 96 because unless you get a whole bunch of pricey pre-ban mags for the 92, I can live with 10 40S&W rounds (plus one in the spout) than the same in 9mm. It defeats the purpose of having a weapon that big with a low capacity.

If you want a handgun still in use by the US Military (at least in some applications) I'd go with the 1911. Everybody has their own taste in firearms, but personally I would never purchase a Beretta when there are newer and or better designs out there.

Mark L.

If you have trouble deciding get a .357Sig barrel for you P229. It will hold you over, and most likely cause your .40 barrel to collect dust. Berettas just don't feel right in my hand, I much prefer Sigs design.

Pricey? I have 6 prebans. Between the gun and the 6 prebans I paid $500.

Then you got a deal or you know somebody. How long ago did you get the mags? Sometimes I think you and I live on different planets based on some of your responses. The Four Seasons Price for four pre-ban magazines is $99.90 or $29.99 each and to me that's pricey and to me that is about the best deal you are going to get these days. New pistols are $549.95 which is not a bad price but the whole deal of a new pistol plus six magazines would come to 709.83 plus tax. I think we are agreed that is signifcantly more than $500.00.

Mark L.

Last edited:
I bought the 92FS like new FTF with 2 prebans for $400, and then paid $100 for four prebans from another member here.

Stores are great, but a minimal of digging and searching can net you great deals.

The Beretta 92/96 series gun work best and are most reliable in 9mm. A quick improvement for a 92 trigger is to replace the standrd Main spring with one form a Bereeta 92/96D. The D mainspring take about 2lbs of the double action trigger pull while not affecting the single action .96. 10 rnd 40 caliber mags will hold 12 rounds of 9mm. I use this set up for my range mags and have nevr had any problems.

Then you got a deal or you know somebody. How long ago did you get the mags? Sometimes I think you and I live on different planets based on some of your responses. The Four Seasons Price for four pre-ban magazines is $99.90 or $29.99 each and to me that's pricey and to me that is about the best deal you are going to get these days. New pistols are $549.95 which is not a bad price but the whole deal of a new pistol plus six magazines would come to 709.83 plus tax. I think we are agreed that is signifcantly more than $500.00.

I have a bunch of preban 92FS mags and I don't think I ever paid more than $25 a piece for them. IMO that's reasonable given that it's basically the "free world" price for the same thing. There are cheaper preban 92FS mags out there but you will find that the knockoffs do not work as well, eg, the taiwanese military and promag garbage floating around.

-Mike

I have a bunch of preban 92FS mags and I don't think I ever paid more than $25 a piece for them. IMO that's reasonable given that it's basically the "free world" price for the same thing. There are cheaper preban 92FS mags out there but you will find that the knockoffs do not work as well, eg, the taiwanese military and promag garbage floating around.

-Mike

Yup, nothing but Mec-Gar or Beretta mags is the way to go!

Back
Top Bottom