Beretta 96FS reviews?

It's a damn fine firearm. Our military's been carrying it since '85, so that certainly says something. I had one and traded it for a 1911.

What do you know about the 1911? [devil]

He does mean the Beretta 96, not the 92, right? The Beretta 96 isn't much more than a 92 slightly modified for .40sw. When I looked at it most reviews generally said it was the same as the 92, more recoil, and a long break-in-period. About what you'd expect if you took a 92 and stuck .40 in it, with all the associated pluses and minuses.

The 96 is an ok gun but is more maintenance intesive. The 96 is a 9mm thats had a couple minor parts changed and chambered in. 40. a 96FS in 40 and a 92FS in 9mm share over 95% of the same parts. The guns even use the same recoil spring. The 9mm will last longer,plus preban hicaps are easier to get. A preban Hi cap for the 96 only holds 11 rounds compared to 15 in the 9mm. When my agency carried the 96 I saw numerous guns that failed, broken frames, broken parts etc. I never witnessed these breaks in the 9mm. If you are not going to shoot thousands of rounds a year the 40 will be fine provided you change out the recoil springs on a regular basis.

The main problem with the 96 is it really wasn't meant to be a .40...

Stinx is right... go with the 9mm. If you feel undergunned get some hot
ammo for it. A 92FS will eat +P+ 9mm ammo all day long and not care.

-Mike

The one gun I sold that I REALLY wish I didn't...92FS M Inox compact...great shooter, kinda big for carry but a fantastic pistol!!!

I have a 96fs Inox and the only thing I did was change out the hammer spring because the trigger was way too hard on double action. I changed it out to the "D" spring and it's like butter now, and I have shot hundreds of rounds and it still looks brand new and I put a Hogue grip on it.
Oh yeah, I bought it used so I have no idea how many rounds have really gone down the pipe, and it still looks new.

I carry it daily and love it as much as my cat. [smile]

My experience with them is that their garbage. Ive come across allot of them, and never liked them, their accuracy, and reliability were poor compared to other guns. Allot of soldiers, cops and other armed professions would agree also. Their a joke in comparison to what else is out there. Buy a Glock, I was issued one in place of a Beretta and it was night and day.

I do not consider myself a expert, but I have over 10 years experience carrying and training with the 96 series. I also am a certified armoroer for the 92/96 series. The 96 is a reliable weapon as long as its maintened ,cleaned and lubed on a regualar basis. The durability however is suspect. The 96 is more dependant on proper lubrication. The 96 runs best with factory Beretta mags. There are some fine aftermarket mags but factory mags are easy enough to find. Accuracy wise the 96 series is fine ,most accuracy issues are related from shooter errors. The 96 being a TDA weapon requires the shooter to have a good understanding and application of trigger control- Other weapons are far easier to master due to having only one trigger pull to learn. Instalation of a D series mainspring will take about 2lbs off the double action trigger pull. The 92/96 are not perfect, but they are a fine defensive firearms,like anything you get from them what your willing to put in. The 9MM 92 would be my choice if I was in the market for a Beretta.

Last edited:
From the FS page:
l. Open Slide Design. Open top slide virtually eliminates jamming or stove piping. Allows the user to load the chamber one cartridge at a time should the magazine be lost or damaged.

Ya.....right......

Some of the above is true. The angle of the cut on the Berettas extractor allows for single loading of rounds. The cut allows the extractor to do this without damaging itself. stove pipe malfunction in a 92/96 are aslo rare.

Last edited:
Some of the above is true. The angle of the cut on the Berettas extractor allows for single loading of rounds. The cut allows the extractor to do this without damaging itself. stove pipe malfunction in a 92/96 are aslo rare.

Right and my shit is purple and smells of rainbow sherbet. The gun is junk.

Yeah, we get that YOU do not like it. I on the other hand I love it.

I do not like Fords, that does not make them junk. Just a preference from my experience with them. However, there are many others that can tell you lots of stories about how wonderful they are.

Kind of like cats...................[smile]

Last edited:
From the FS page:

Ya.....right......

Never had a jamb, and I can drop in a single round with no effort or contortions at all.

The only miss-fire I have ever had was when I tried the competition spring, just did not have enough striking force once in awhile, so I went to the "D" spring, and have had NO problems at all.

I do not consider myself a expert, but I have over 10 years experience carrying and training with the 96 series. I also am a certified armoroer for the 92/96 series. The 96 is a reliable weapon as long as its maintened ,cleaned and lubed on a regualar basis. The durability however is suspect. The 96 is more dependant on proper lubrication. The 96 runs best with factory Beretta mags. There are some fine aftermarket mags but factory mags are easy enough to find. Accuracy wise the 96 series is fine ,most accuracy issues are related from shooter errors. The 96 being a TDA weapon requires the shooter to have a good understanding and application of trigger control- Other weapons are far easier to master due to having only one trigger pull to learn. Instalation of a D series mainspring will take about 2lbs off the double action trigger pull. The 92/96 are not perfect, but they are a fine defensive firearms,like anything you get from them what your willing to put in. The 9MM 92 would be my choice if I was in the market for a Beretta.

When I first got mine, it would stick when pulling the slide back by hand and gently releasing it, it would almost hang the last 1/4 inch on the return. I pulled it all apart, gave it a real good cleaning, found gunk in the inside track/rail, gave it a good lube job with Milatec and it is sooooo smooth now all you feel is spring.

I dont think they are bad guns. i carried one in the army for a long time, and now own my own 92fs. it is accurate enough, and mine went through over 1,000 rounds before i even bothered to clean it (it started to eject towards the shooter when it was past 1k).

its not a glock in terms of fire a million rounds through it and ask questions later, but i dont think its the huge piece of shit you make it out to be. dont hate. [rofl]

Dench,
Beretta Recomends yearly you pull the extractor and clean any carbon thats built up. Its amazing how much you will find. Its worth doing if you fire alot of rounds though the weapon.

I carried a 96D Brigidier (sp) for 4 years. Five or six of them broke in training in my section alone at the academy. I've seen 15-20 of them turn into paperweights personally.

They gave me an HnK, and I haven't looked back. The only problem I've had was an appearant drop that bent the slide and chewed up the gun. Not the gun's fault.

Back
Top Bottom