Beretta 391 urika trap model

I have wanted a over/under for the longest time..... I'm not sure why as I have never done any hinting or shotgun games. Went into a shop today with the intention of looking at some o/u shotguns for some hunting and some shotgun games as I have always wanted to try. I handled a cz, a franchi a lanber and a few other used guns. While I did find a Remington 396 sporting that I liked it was far out of, my sub 1k price range. While browsing the rest of the racks I came across a Beretta 391 trap model that just seemed "right". I liked the 30" barrel and the weight and swing seemed good. Better yet was it was less than $700 and well within my price range. It was definetly used but not abused and still seemed overall in good + condition

So, its now in the layaway closet with my name on it! But, did I jump too soon? Was this an OK gun to buy used? I know you should try before but I doubt I would do that anyway ( just being honest )

My club is not a shotgun club ( Harvard sportsman's ) but I would like to try shotgun games in addition to turkey and some sort of bird hunting ( please forgive my lack of knowledge )

I know no 1 gun is perfect for everything but I don't plan on owning more than 1. Did I make a mistake?

Great gun as an all-around shotgun games gun.

It is going to be on the heavy & unwieldy side for upland hunting with that 30" barrel, but if you don't mind lugging it, it'll handle the job just fine.

You could try turkey hunting with it, but the shiny finish and long barrel are not ideal for that application.

Thanks Nicole! I'll be honest the idea of hunting has always intimidated me as its not something I grew up with.... I'm not so worried about "heavy and unwieldy" I I'm pretty that accurately describes me as well! I have a friend at work that hunt turkey from a blind so I think that would help? I do t know. I almost never "fall in love" and make a quick purchase like that, perhaps I'll take a ride back up tomorrow to rethink it

I have one. paid about the same with a case and 5 chokes.
great trap gun. used it for skeet as well. it is heavier than a true skeet or upland bird gun.

Not sure where you're located, but when you get your hands on it, please feel free to come to Southborough Rod & Gun Club some Sunday afternoon, and try it on both Trap and Skeet.

If the gun fits you, physically and mentally, you're good to go.

If you're "intimidated" by hunting (guessing you've never done it) you'll need a HunterEd course (there's info on turkey hunting, there). Get into one, NOW. They fill up fast.

Not sure where you're located, but when you get your hands on it, please feel free to come to Southborough Rod & Gun Club some Sunday afternoon, and try it on both Trap and Skeet.

If the gun fits you, physically and mentally, you're good to go.

If you're "intimidated" by hunting (guessing you've never done it) you'll need a HunterEd course (there's info on turkey hunting, there). Get into one, NOW. They fill up fast.

Took the hunters safety course last Feb but never did anything..... Just felt a little odd wandering into the woods hoping to shoot something (lol)

Im up in Gardner, but I shoot at HSC ( Harvard, not Hollbrook )

Beretta shotguns are excellent, high quality firearms. Trap models are designed to hit rising targets, so you may have some difficulties in Sporting clays and skeet. These games have a lot of flat,parallel targets with the occasional risers. Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks Nicole! I'll be honest the idea of hunting has always intimidated me as its not something I grew up with.... I'm not so worried about "heavy and unwieldy" I I'm pretty that accurately describes me as well! I have a friend at work that hunt turkey from a blind so I think that would help? I do t know. I almost never "fall in love" and make a quick purchase like that, perhaps I'll take a ride back up tomorrow to rethink it

I know exactly what you mean. I didn't have a hunting mentor either when I got started. And Hunter's Ed doesn't really cut it. If you don't have someone to take you under their wing, might I suggest starting with upland birds at a hunting preserve? You will get a guide and they will provide and handle the dog. It's not exactly cheap, but you WILL get birds, the guide will happily hold your hand to the extent you desire (be upfront, ask questions, and follow the guide's directions), and it's a nice way to jump into hunting. Additionally, since you are on private land shooting stocked birds, the rules are a little different and you don't need much gear to get going. Basically whatever you would wear for a mild hike and the gun. A way to carry the shells helps, but whatever you like is fine. Some preserves may want hunter orange, some waive that since only one party goes out at time. Adam and I like Lady Woods - very nice, very laid back, not the least bit ostentatious or intimidating.

Take the Beretta out. It'll do the job just dandy. And by the end of the day, you'll see what I mean about heavy and unwieldy. [wink] Just gives you an excuse to buy another gun if you really like upland hunting. [laugh]

With turkey hunting - know that turkeys see in color and they see very very well. And in New England, the way to hunt turkeys is to set yourself down in one place, try not to move, and convince the turkey to approach within 40 yards of you using calls and/or decoys. A flash of white sock, the light reflecting off your face, the movement of you shouldering the gun, any of these things are enough to send the turkey packing. The flash of light reflecting off a blued gun could spook a turkey. I hunt turkey with a parkerized 20 gauge. Lots of people hunt turkeys with camo'd shotguns these days. That said, you CAN get a turkey with that gun, it's just that it's one more possible way for you to alert the turkey to your presence.

A blind will help and is awesome. The barrel length comes in to play here. Blinds tend to be cramped. (Unless it's that blind the Cook bros. were hunting out of in Africa...the one with the couches and minifridge [rolleyes][laugh]) Again, it can be done, but a turkey gun would tend to have a shorter barrel so that it is easier to maneuver in the blind or in the woods.

All that said, let me clarify that my vote is that you should totally buy it. I love them. I have never had anyone pick mine up and not shoot well with it. Everyone I know who has one loves it. Short of sabot slugs for deer, it will serve you well as you sample all the different things you can do with shotguns. When and if you fall in love with one of the shotgun sports, you can think about a more specialized gun/second gun.

Ok, OK! I got it! I really like the shotgun so I think you have eased my mind. Yes, the hunters safety course was a total joke! I honestly left more nervous about hunting than before I showed up!

Do you have a specific hunting preserve you could recommend? That sounds like a good way to get my feet wet.

Took the hunters safety course last Feb but never did anything..... Just felt a little odd wandering into the woods hoping to shoot something (lol)

Im up in Gardner, but I shoot at HSC ( Harvard, not Hollbrook )

Woodsman rifle and pistol club doe valley rd in Athol does skeet shooting.

Mike

[smile] Yes, I got both and no I wont post the many videos of the times i missed!

[video=youtube_share;MlkQG8PfuZw]http://youtu.be/MlkQG8PfuZw[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

Picked up my 391 today and took the wife and twins to HSC to try it out...... The best part was my boys ( twins age 5 ) had MORE fun than I did! They took turns running the machine and were very disappointed I only brought 50 rounds of ammo

Very sweet shooting gun, and a ton of fun!

[smile] Yes, I got both and no I wont post the many videos of the times i missed!

Video Link: http://youtu.be/MlkQG8PfuZw

- - - Updated - - -

Picked up my 391 today and took the wife and twins to HSC to try it out...... The best part was my boys ( twins age 5 ) had MORE fun than I did! They took turns running the machine and were very disappointed I only brought 50 rounds of ammo

Very sweet shooting gun, and a ton of fun!

Yay! A good day. :)

The Nimrod League in Princeton has public trap every Thursday night from 6:30-9 if you ever want to come out. It's a really nice club with decent people and good equipment. I'm up in Hubbardston and head out there pretty much every week. I know people speak highly of North Leominster Rod & Gun for shotgun games, and they have more public hours too, but I've yet to make it out there myself. Have fun with that new shotgun!

With turkey hunting - know that turkeys see in color and they see very very well. And in New England, the way to hunt turkeys is to set yourself down in one place, try not to move, and convince the turkey to approach within 40 yards of you using calls and/or decoys. A flash of white sock, the light reflecting off your face, the movement of you shouldering the gun, any of these things are enough to send the turkey packing. The flash of light reflecting off a blued gun could spook a turkey. I hunt turkey with a parkerized 20 gauge. Lots of people hunt turkeys with camo'd shotguns these days. That said, you CAN get a turkey with that gun, it's just that it's one more possible way for you to alert the turkey to your presence.

Another thing to know is that turkeys have a field of vision of approximately 270 degrees, meaning at one time they can see nearly everything around them except what is directly behind them. It's just another thing that makes them a worthy game. For camo, you could just use something as simple as a camo sock for about $5.

I've been into trap for about three months now and I absolutely love it - in late October I would have told you I would never shoot trap seriously, but three and a half months later I have bought a new shotgun and a complete reloading set-up. It's addictive. Gardner is a hike, but Andover Sportsmen Club shoots several nights a week between trap, skeet and five stand, so if you ever get out this way I'd love to show you around.

Congrats on the Beretta - like most Beretta products, it's going to be a quality gun and unless it had some obvious defect when you purchased it (like it just felt loose and wobbly or didn't fire) then it's probably going to last through you and your boys.

is the trap model different than other variants of the 391?

I was thinking about getting a 391 just as a do-it-all gun for all the shotgun sports.

Back
Top Bottom