Beginner shooting distance

Total beginner and wondering what distance I should start out shooting at to get comfortable shooting. I am shooting a Ruger Mark III and a S&W .40. I will be mostly shooting the .22 and have been shooting at 50 feet. Should I really have the target much closer then move it back as my groupings get better or should I stay at the 50ft limit? My groupings now are pretty bad and plan on taking a lesson soon.

Total beginner and wondering what distance I should start out shooting at to get comfortable shooting. I am shooting a Ruger Mark III and a S&W .40. I will be mostly shooting the .22 and have been shooting at 50 feet. Should I really have the target much closer then move it back as my groupings get better or should I stay at the 50ft limit? My groupings now are pretty bad and plan on taking a lesson soon.

I would shoot the furthest distance you can that will yield decent grouping. After you train at further distances, when you bring it in closer it'll seem much easier. Better to practice at further and think you're bad then train at close range, think you're better than you are and let bad habits set in. Just my $.02 [smile]

IMHO if all your shots are staying on the paper, you are at the right distance. Having too many off the paper won't help you figure out what's going on.

Formal training will be a big help. Take what they tell you and practice, practice, practice...

i would start at around 7 yards and progress out from there as your grouping gets better. try shooting at paper plates instead of targets as well. It's much better to not have a bullseye when learning.

+1 for seven yards (21 ft.). You should be able to keep all your shots in the black on a standard 50 foot pistol target at 21 feet with your Ruger.

When I took the NRA Instructor course with Jon Green last Spring, I learned that the NRA tells us to start people off with blank paper and very short distances (NMT 10'). As you get groups on paper, move the target out further and work on your groups.

21' is ideal as that is the distance that can be easily defended in court in case of a self-defense situation. <see Tueller Drill>

Once you get good enough at closer distances, shooting at 50' is good for bullseye practice.

Realize that many clubs don't allow you to shoot at anything other than fixed distances . . . often 33' (air pistol range), 50' and 75' (both are used for bullseye matches).

I agree with Len on the distance and the blank paper. I teach my students at about
20 to 25'. And if they're really having trouble with grouping, I turn the target around to the blank side and draw a big cross with a pen. Fortunately, at my home club we can bring the target in as close as we want. I've even brought it in to 10 feet for those having a lot of difficulty. The positive reinforcement of hitting the target - even at 10 feet, is great for their self-esteem and desire to keep trying. Once they master the basic fundamentals at that distance, we slowly start moving the target out. Of course, when we're training them for the Moon Island qualification - we have to take it out to
45' a little sooner.

Thanks guys I will move it in much closer and ease it back out as my groupings get better. If anyone knows a person/place in RI to get handgun basic instruction feel free to PM with the contact info.

Thanks again.

Practice,Practice,Practice. Get some snap caps and work on trigger control. Sit on the couch at night and dry fire while sighting in on something. Slowly squeeze the trigger, not jerk. When the hammer drops it should be a surprise. Have somebody watch the barrel to see if it moves. When it stays still while the hammer is falling your ready for live ammo. Where in RI are you from and where do you shoot. If schedules match I could work with you. Dave

The NRA Handgun ( as opposed to Bullseye Pistol) Qualification Program starts out with benchrest paper plates at 15 feet.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/marksmanship/Handgun.asp

Nothing succeeds like early success!

Since the Qualification programs are "skill building," this makes sense.

Good shooting, and welcome to the Fraternity![smile]

what ever distance yeilds a grouping roughly the size of your open hand (usualy 5-7 yrds). then work to make that grouping the size of a closed fist. once there move back a bit. once you get to a decent distance go back to your starting point and start trying to get all the shots in a 1 inch square.

Back
Top Bottom