Before & after Savage 6DL-M

I picked up a basket case .22 from Tombstone Trading in Brookfield for a great price. It wasn't pretty, but I could see it had potential. With most of the basket cases I find, getting any disassembly information is next to impossible. With some of the parts being so gummed up with crud I am never sure if they are supposed to come apart or not. The stock was refinished in Tung Oil. The receiver and trigger guard were stripped of their silver paint (yes paint) with 220 grit sand paper. Then I sanded them 800 grit sand paper and buffed with 0000 steel wool. The barrel had a couple wear marks that I touched up with Perma Blue. I think it came out pretty good.

The Befores....

before_stocksm.JPG

before_receiversm.jpg

The Afters.....

after_stocksm.JPG

after_receiversm.JPG

Very nice job! That stock looks like it has some really nice grain... I'd like to see a few full size pics.

I love stories of old neglected .22 rifles returned to original beauty. A few years ago I bought an old beater Mossberg 340 from Richie's for $30.
$50 later in parts and my own labor and it looks new.

My all time favorite restore was my father's first .22 rifle. An old Winchester with Weaver scope. It looked like it was dragged behind a truck and left to rust until I got a hold of it.

Win1.jpg

I wanted to take some full length shots but the lighting in the house is terrible and the flash shots are worse. I want to try and get a few outside shots tomorrow. I think this one came out the best because of the stock. Most of the others I have refinished don't have the grain this one does.

I enjoy bringing old .22's back to life. This is the first one I took 'before' pictures of. I am usually in the midst of tearing them down when the thought of taking pictures hits me.[smile]

I had fun trying to figure out how to disassemble a Marlin Model 98. There are 2 buttons you press on the back and you can pull the back and the bolt out. Great for cleaning. Not knowing that at the time and the fact the buttons were so gummed up, I couldn't get them to move. So, I figured something else had to be removed first. I had given up and drenched it in breakfree and let it sit. A few hours later I was able to get a little movement out of them. I worked them back and forth and finally 'pop'. Off it came.

The finish on the wood is bare wood with Tung oil. The original varnish (?) was flaking off so sanding it made quick work of it. I was surprised it was so dark when I applied the Tung oil. The receiver and trigger guard are stainless steel. I started with 220 grit sandpaper moved up to 800 grit and polished with 0000 steel wool. Then a light coat of oil. It was all done by hand.

Here is a full pic. My picture taking skills could use some work.[wink]

full2.jpg

IMGP8635.jpg

IMGP8671.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom