Bayonets

M1966

NES Member
Did a quick search and cannot find anything specific, so.....Does anyone know the legality of a bayonet collection and/or shipping of such in or out of Massachusetts? Have they gotten to them yet? Thanks

They are legal to possess and buy, even affixed to a pre-ban gun.

Carrying one around "probably" fits in with the knife laws and likely there are legal issues to be aware of. [I have not researched it.]

Nickle said:
Make sure they aren't double edged. I've seen something about that, and I have a big double edged knife. I don't take it to Mass, either.

And a spike bayonet (SKS variant) must be OK because it is tri-sided, not double-edged? j/k

Many bayonets are double-edged and sold here. NOT SURE, but they are commonly possessed. Carrying one as a knife definitely would be a violation of law. MAY be OK to possess and mount on a pre-ban rifle . . . I think it is mostly a "don't ask, don't tell" issue.

If any of this makes sense to you, you should run for the state legislature! [wink]

From packing.org, a quote of Mass law:

Knife carry law summary
Date updated: Aug 26, 2005 @ 9:25 pm

Chapter 269: Section 10 Carrying dangerous weapons; possession of machine gun or sawed-off shotguns; possession of large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device; punishment

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a),

Nickle, thanks for making my point:

carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle

Thus, this law ONLY concerns "carry" on/about your person. Storage or mounting on your rifle at home, at the range, at a Militaria event is not illegal (at least per this law).

This is what I suspected to be the case. That's fine . . . at least compared to making mere possession a crime.

I'm wondering about the transportation issue, since I drive an SUV. I use my Ontario SP-6 for a cooking knife. Well, is is a MEAT knife by design.

NOKSP6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom