battle belts?

MJM

Have been spying these alot more on the range. typically jammed with gear and the newer trend of everyone rocking some sort of med kit on it as well. anyone use one? which one? whats your $0.02 on them? whats your set up look like? thanks

That's funny outside of once or twice in about 10 years I have never seen one at the range... maybe for show or the ultra cool range ninja that needs his mentos at an arms length away but not common at my clubs.

To (mis)quote someone on these forums.. "Tacti-cool is not always practi-cool".

My bug out bag and vest setup stays at home, it's not for show, it's for survival in a SHTF scenario. The bag also doubles as a hiking setup so I could get myself and my fiancee out of a bad situation if I need to. Wearing that crap at the range is completely unnecessary unless you are practicing drawing and firing and/or target acquisition with all your gear on... which could be just as easily done at home with an unloaded and cleared gun on post-it note targets. Muscle memory does not require actual firing to obtain, if all you are trying to do is unholster and drop safety while you are pulling on target.

ETA: will I ever have to use the stuff for what I practice with it for? Probably not, but I'd rather be prepared to and not have to, than have to and not be able to.

I have no respect for the guy wearing a batman belt while mag dumping his .22 to look cool.

I have 12 spare double mag pouches on a battle belt that I wear to the range, but they are filled with (pre-ban, high cap) Pez dispensers

Unless your idea of "practicing" is mag-dumping, then no, you are not practicing... as was stated
Wearing that crap at the range is completely unnecessary unless you are practicing drawing and firing and/or target acquisition with all your gear on... which could be just as easily done at home with an unloaded and cleared gun on post-it note targets. Muscle memory does not require actual firing to obtain, if all you are trying to do is unholster and drop safety while you are pulling on target.

See?

Not sure, but dynamic shooting would not be sitting at a bench with a gripod on a carbine.

I am still trying to figure out if that's when people wear those black hawk thigh holsters and you have to dodge shoots while they do their practice routine of holstering and re-holstering. J/K

I see the day ladies are deep into the fashion issues. Middle school never ends, apparently.

Have been spying these alot more on the range. typically jammed with gear and the newer trend of everyone rocking some sort of med kit on it as well. anyone use one? which one? whats your $0.02 on them? whats your set up look like? thanks

These setups are essential if you do any shooting and moving while carrying both a handgun and a rifle (e.g., you are taking a carbine/pistol class) and you expect to be running through several mags before you get a chance to top off. You can go with a basic pistol belt setup (pistol, mags) and a chest rig for rifle mags. But, lots of us have found out that having a belt setup for both makes things much easier and gets the load off of your chest, improving mobility.

I like the VTAC belt. It allows you to weave the inner belt (here is a good one) in and out to allow for both belt mounted and MOLLE attachment. Then you decide how you want to carry your pistol (great choice), rifle mags (I like these), pistol mags (lots of options), and anything else you want. If you plan to be moving and shooting around other people, a basic med kit might be a good idea -- your call. Definitely consider a pouch on the back of the belt for empty mags, etc. (very handy).

Now if you have such a setup and plan to use it in a course, you might want to practice first. Keep in mind that said day ladies might not approve. You shouldn't care.

I like the VTAC belt. It allows you to weave the inner belt (here is a good one) in and out to allow for both belt mounted and MOLLE attachment. Then you decide how you want to carry your pistol (great choice), rifle mags (I like these), pistol mags (lots of options), and anything else you want. If you plan to be moving and shooting around other people, a basic med kit might be a good idea -- your call. Definitely consider a pouch on the back of the belt for empty mags, etc. (very handy).

Now if you have such a setup and plan to use it in a course, you might want to practice first. Keep in mind that said day ladies might not approve. You shouldn't care.

+1

I am a fan of Vtac gear and also like the fast-mags. I have a similar set up.

If you are going to have the gear and expect to use it for competition or self defense. It would be smart to take it to the range and test it out. Gear that works great at home has a way of failing when actually put through the paces. Mags fall out when you run, belts come apart, shit just doesn't work.

I do enjoy seeing the tactical timmays at the local rifle matches, its usually a yard sale of parts as the waddle down the range. You can usually score a twinkie or Ho ho.

If you are going to have the gear and expect to use it for competition or self defense. It would be smart to take it to the range and test it out. Gear that works great at home has a way of failing when actually put through the paces. Mags fall out when you run, belts come apart, shit just doesn't work.

I do enjoy seeing the tactical timmays at the local rifle matches, its usually a yard sale of parts as the waddle down the range. You can usually score a twinkie or Ho ho.

Or you try to load your G17 into the mag well of your AR, ask me how i know.

So a battle belt is just a thick belt that holds mags / a holster?

I have a belt like that.
I think it gets the "battle" moniker when it goes full-retard.

What moto says...

- - - Updated - - -

Or you try to load your G17 into the mag well of your AR, ask me how i know.
It's a glock, it should work.

It is funny that we shit on people for having tacticool gear and not training with it and then we shit on people who actually take it to the range. How many guys here have 10 or 20 mags for their firearms but no way to carry more than one other than shoving them in their pockets?

I use an old LC2 set up. Not real high speed but it is hard for me to justify the cost of the other stuff. I dont train with it as much as I should but I am familiar with it. Do I see myself ever using it for real? Probably not but if I do need to use it for real I am much better off knowing where to reach for a mag without looking, transitioning to a handgun etc. Go watch an IDPA or other action shoot. A lot of guys lose a lot of time fumbling for mags.

I have a belt that I bought a while ago when I thought I was going to attend a few classes, (http://usgruntgear.com/wamobe.html) I like it just fine. I don't get to the range much with it, but that is because I don't get to the range much at all lately, and when I do I am using my other style of belt set up for USPSA.

I have a few of the TACO mag pouches that are pretty sweet, but have heard good things about the fast mags.

I do think that VTAC belt is a great idea, since you could use just about any holster with it.

Big belts with big buckles are easy to put on fast, there is some utility in that.

I love mine...

images

honestly, this picture never gets old or not hilarious.[rofl]

Like I'm the only one.

- - - Updated - - -

On a real note, the VTAC stuff looks pretty nice. Is it made by 5.11 or are they just partnering up for marketing? They are on 5.11's website

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw one of these ONE time. Guy had gun, four double mag pouches, giant flashlight, baton, OC spray, two sets of cuffs, couple different sets of keys, and some other random pouches. There was this huge gold sherriffs badge in the middle of it, so I assumed he was Worcester County Sheriffs Dept tactical division or something like that. After some short talk, I asked what Dept he worked for, and he pulled it off and showed me. It was a real deal CCW badge. I thought these things were just a running joke on here, but they exist!! and people take them seriously when they wear them!!! I couldnt believe it.

Back
Top Bottom