Barrel jaws and Action Wrench to remove M1 Garand Barrel

I should have said NEEDED as in I NEED to use one.

Hello all,

Been a while since I've been on here. Plan on going green soon, I'll probably stay on even after I leave for Florida. Working out an exit plan to get out of Connecticut.

Anyway, I picked up an M1 Garand from an estate sale, the rifle was generally in good condition except the first 3/4 of an inch inside the muzzle was rotted away from water. I have grit blasted with 180 grit aluminum oxide and re-parkerized (Zinc Phosphate) all the parts. The internal trigger assy parts, and stuff that was black I left that way (I like the contrast). I ordered a new stock set from the CMP (which I haven't received yet).

I want to replace the barrel with a criterion barrel but I didn't want to purchase an action wrench and barrel jaws just to do one barrel. I was wondering if anyone could lend on to me so I can crack the thing loose. I am in the Torrington CT area after 4:00pm weekdays, or in or around Meriden CT (I work in Meriden) around lunchtime during the day.

I plan on having the new barrel (which I haven't purchased yet) professionally installed, but I figured I'd shave off as much work to save dough as I can, as I'd like to install NM sights and use it for High-Power service rifle matches.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I have an action wrench and jaws for AR15's to lend if anyone is in a bind. I know lots of folks are building.

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:
Can't help you with the wrenches. I just have to comment on any Garand thread as a matter of principle...

The Criterion barrels are sweet, and if you're looking for a shooter (as it seems you are), that'd be the way to go.

I highly recommend the CMP forums for American milsurp parts. I bet if you posted a WTB for your NM sights, you'll have a response in a day or two.

Last edited:
I have that Garand stuff....but I am up in NH..... you'll also need a magnetic protractor to align the barrel to the receiver..... ( have that too )

I cant do a search on this computer but there is a web site out there that rents gun Smith tools.

Back
Top Bottom