BANNERMANS 501 BROADWAY, NYC

Howdy..... I have a bit of info for you guys......
Back about 1953-4 I went into Bannermans at 501 Broadway in NYC. I was with my cousin Michael.. He lived on the East side,,,around East 4th Street -- I lived down on Staten Island = my grandmother lived at 35 Grove Street.
At the time, the man running the store was named Jim...Jimmy. He was physically impaired. He had a hard time moving around. I wanted a CW Musket -- model 1861. Jim let me dig around and find a decent 1862 Springfield - which was actually a beauty. I still have it, along with a dozen others....and lots of misc CW bits and pieces - thanks to Jim. He let my run all over the store -- building - upstairs also. Hard time getting through the rooms... I helped him quite a few times... On the first landing - between the 1st and second floors.....there were 2 dummies , 1 on the left - one on the right... fully dressed in1600's suits of armor with swords. Jimmy told me to take them home....OUCH... I had no way to move them and simply no way to get them home... SAD indeed..... Worse yet, about 1960, a neighbor on Staten Island travelled with me every day to work in NYC. I worked for a printing Company down near the Ferry - she worked a few blocks up for the Company that owned the Ship - TITANIC.. Gail Curren told me that the place was sort of being shut down..... In the lobby there was a huge perfectly detailed Large tugboat...about 7 feet long ---in glass)...AND a very very highly detailed model of TITANIC....it was in a large glass case....maybe 20 feet long...absolutely unreal... Gail told me to take them home.... WOW....sadly, how the hell can a guy haul something like that (them) home.....?? I should have taken the lifeboats or something from TITANIC...but, 21 years old and pretty fresh out of the NAVY.....not enough understanding of what the ship would mean down the road. A few days later, meeting Gail to go home..there they were - both Ship models in the huge dumpster outside the building...all busted up........What can I say,??? History down the drain.....

I lived on boyd road then moved to beacon st. that's the upper north side.

I just read recently they only knew where 2 titanic lifeboats were, reissued to another white star line ocean liner. the rest that were brought ashore were destroyed and the others were left adrift in the ocean after the people were rescued. who new there was one in NYC in the lobby of a store. it'd be worth a bunch of money.

at your age you must’ve taken typing

use carriage returns

Probably not. A MAN taking typing in the 40's or 50's??? Nah. It was wimmins-work by then. Typing didn't become important for boys until the 80's. Ergo, I can type the hell out of this keyboard. (But still type teh all teh freaking time. Dumb old fingers!)

Howdy..... I have a bit of info for you guys......
Back about 1953-4 I went into Bannermans at 501 Broadway in NYC. I was with my cousin Michael.. He lived on the East side,,,around East 4th Street -- I lived down on Staten Island = my grandmother lived at 35 Grove Street.
At the time, the man running the store was named Jim...Jimmy. He was physically impaired. He had a hard time moving around. I wanted a CW Musket -- model 1861. Jim let me dig around and find a decent 1862 Springfield - which was actually a beauty. I still have it, along with a dozen others....and lots of misc CW bits and pieces - thanks to Jim. He let my run all over the store -- building - upstairs also. Hard time getting through the rooms... I helped him quite a few times... On the first landing - between the 1st and second floors.....there were 2 dummies , 1 on the left - one on the right... fully dressed in1600's suits of armor with swords. Jimmy told me to take them home....OUCH... I had no way to move them and simply no way to get them home... SAD indeed..... Worse yet, about 1960, a neighbor on Staten Island travelled with me every day to work in NYC. I worked for a printing Company down near the Ferry - she worked a few blocks up for the Company that owned the Ship - TITANIC.. Gail Curren told me that the place was sort of being shut down..... In the lobby there was a huge perfectly detailed Large tugboat...about 7 feet long ---in glass)...AND a very very highly detailed model of TITANIC....it was in a large glass case....maybe 20 feet long...absolutely unreal... Gail told me to take them home.... WOW....sadly, how the hell can a guy haul something like that (them) home.....?? I should have taken the lifeboats or something from TITANIC...but, 21 years old and pretty fresh out of the NAVY.....not enough understanding of what the ship would mean down the road. A few days later, meeting Gail to go home..there they were - both Ship models in the huge dumpster outside the building...all busted up........What can I say,??? History down the drain.....
Did you frequent Robert Abels' as well?

Did you frequent Robert Abels' as well?
No...but down near the Ferry to Staten Island, there was a place called HUDSON SPORTING GOODS ... 2 old dudes ran the place.. There were drawers everywhere full of gun parts from the Revolutionary War - up to WW2.. Great place for Thompson parts. Sometimes, over in NJ...was PARABELLUM ARMS.....Neal Gutterman... Anyone ever there ??

Um.

Welcome to NES?
Thanks for the welcome...... Pretty busy guy...but the weather is a mess, so I scouted around the net a bit. I restore Classic Cars and am Retired US ARMY...Had several Gun Stores. Built Sniper Rifles for the NAVY and MARINES while in the NAVY for the first 13 years...before I crossed to ARMY. I still re-park WW2 pieces for folks. Did it for the NAVY in CA and up at the NAVAL Rebuild center CRANE, IN... Long career....I built the M14/M21 Rifle I won the State Championship with here..

Back
Top Bottom