Bad casings on UMC 9mm w/pics

This is what we got in our last bunch of Remington UMC 9mm, not sure if this would cause a catastrophic failure but it sure would be a FTF (the "bent up" casing is too big to fit in the chamber). Luckily my wife was paying attention and caught them before loading them into a mag.

Anybody see this before, and do you think it would be worth contacting Remington about? Just seems unacceptable from Remington.

BADUMC9MM.jpg

Last edited:
I would certainly call Remington, especially if they came from the same box or lot number. You will probably get some new ammo out of it and it could help Remington spot a problem.

Mike,
A snapshot of the lot numbers on the box flaps and a copy of the above photo will probably get you a coupon for a couple of boxes of ammo from Remington.

Wow just reminds me never assume a new box is without problems... thanks for the friendly reminder and +1 to contacting Remington.

I had a couple of bad rounds of UMC in a 250 round box of .40 about two years ago. The only time my G22 has jammed.

My Wife found one round of WWB .38 Spl like that. She put it aside and told me that it wouldn't chamber. It looked a lot like that picture.

So it does happen and sometimes escapes QC.

That will iron right out when you shoot it. If that doesn't do it then sizing and belling will. [wink]

Give them a call. Most companies give a coupon even if you just call them to say good job. But honestly they might want to know about this so they can contact their retailer's with the lot #.

I would probably take pics and contact them about it... could get a few
free boxes of ammo out of the deal, at a minimum.

Being that it is UMC, it doesn't surprise me at all.... while they generally
produce decent ammo, their failure rate was up around S+B's ballpark, at
least from what I remember a few years ago. (A surprise in every
box! Usually just a round not shaped right, nothing dangerous WRT practice
grade ammo).

-Mike

Well I sent them an email with the pic and said I was "very dissapointed".[wink]

So if nothing else they know about it and maybe I get some goodies.[grin]

Back
Top Bottom