Ayn Rand Interview - Author of Atlas Shrugged - She was amazing, worth a listen

It might make more sense if you substitute the words "selfishness" with "self-interest." Selfishness has come to represent a moral vice, when I think she meant it as pursuing your own happiness, not necessarily at the expense of others. Any classical liberal or competent economist can see that when we act in our own self-interest - which in a society necessarily involves voluntary exchange and competition - it makes everyone better off. I think that's the reason she saw selfishness as a virtue, and I agree with her.
I think something like the non-aggressive principle makes a much better foundation for a system of ethics than self interest, while preserving the freedom of individuals to pursue their own ends.

Francisco's "Money Speech"

That's a great summary. I've had arguments with one of my sisters about why attaching a dollar value to things (like search and rescue operations) isn't distasteful, it's actually a really good thing. We don't live in a world where you can have your cake and eat it too.

Forgot to add though - Rand may have forgotten that Jesus didn't castigate money itself. He castigated the love of it. When asked about paying taxes and etc, it's clear that Jesus didn't have a problem with money, he was interested in the end results.

Last edited:
Try watching the 3 part movie covering this! Saw the first in a theater. The next two didn't do as well and I missed them. I recently bought the 2nd and 3rd installments but haven't watched them yet. Waiting for a nice snowie weekend in January! I would still like to meet John Galt.

I made it about as far in the movie as I did the books.

Honestly - was a relationship with the chippy (Dagney?) and the steel guy necessary???? Really??? Talk about a complete waste of plot time and hundreds of pages of utter crap. The love "triangle" seemed more dystopian than the actual plot of the book. [rofl]

It might make more sense if you substitute the words "selfishness" with "self-interest." Selfishness has come to represent a moral vice, when I think she meant it as pursuing your own happiness, not necessarily at the expense of others. Any classical liberal or competent economist can see that when we act in our own self-interest - which in a society necessarily involves voluntary exchange and competition - it makes everyone better off. I think that's the reason she saw selfishness as a virtue, and I agree with her.

It is also possible to be charitable to others, and still act in your own self-interest. We do such things voluntarily because it is consistent with our internal moral compass, because we believe it to be the "right thing". I am a better person because I am kind to others of my own volition, and because I associate with others who think likewise. That advances my self-interest, even though some see it as altruistic.

I made it about as far in the movie as I did the books.

Honestly - was a relationship with the chippy (Dagney?) and the steel guy necessary????

The "chippy"? Did you make it past the cover of the book, or the thumbnail of the movie trailer?

I'm no Rand fanboy, but you obviously put zero thought into the characters.

[rofl]

That's what you get? Because I call her a chippy???

OK.

The fictional character Dagny Taggart was portrayed as a heroine, a strong willed person who was the furthest thing from someone compensating for a sense of inferiority.

If you have some other definition of "chippy", you should provide it.

Back
Top Bottom