Automatic Place to Catch Pogies

Some of you are going to be out there saying "No free lunches" but I'll politely say blow it out of your ass because I dont plan on eating pogies. Does anyone know of a good spot to nail pogies in the Dartmouth area? I may be catching some with nets this summer on a boat but I need a back up in case I ever run out some night or if I want some live ones. Anyone here go fishing off of the Padanaram bridge in the summer? I find my self out there a lot of nights shooting the shit. If any of you are looking for some company on the bridge let me know.

yeah-- those little fish that they go after-- we hook the with weighted treble hooks

if someone has a better way, do tell!! [grin]

+1

if you snag them with a hook, you have to leave them in the water
if you pull them in they won't last long.

best way is to find a herring run, (ladder) go upstream and use a large
net, it will take some practice (ask me how i know) but you can
net them and keep them in an areated barrel. i did this years ago
the laws may have changed since then.

JimB

i usually fish them on another rod i bring right away-- a live pogie is an almost guaranteed striper and you can only have two [grin]

we do have a herring run nearby-- i will have to look into that!

best way is to find a herring run, (ladder) go upstream and use a large
net, it will take some practice (ask me how i know) but you can
net them and keep them in an areated barrel. i did this years ago
the laws may have changed since then.

JimB

Pogies (atlantic menhaden) do not frequent herring runs. Those are blue back herring and are illegal to use as bait now.

Pogies spend their lives in ocean waters and spawn in the ocean as well.

Also another great striper bait is the similar named Porgy (scup) Commonly found around docks and rocks.

Yeah that's true about herrings. You can use scup as bait just make sure they're at least 10" long before you live line them. If your caught in possession of a sub 10" scup get ready to pay up. Going after pogies with treble hooks are one of the funnest things to do in my opinion. I was out on Padanaram bridge one night and there were kids shooting at schools of pogies with a bow and arrow w/ a rope attached. Much less effective than treble hooks but it looked fun. I do plan on using it as striper bait but I will get the occasional blue fish which normally tastes awful but it can be great it it's battered and fried correctly.

Yeah that's true about herrings. You can use scup as bait just make sure they're at least 10" long before you live line them. If your caught in possession of a sub 10" scup get ready to pay up. Going after pogies with treble hooks are one of the funnest things to do in my opinion. I was out on Padanaram bridge one night and there were kids shooting at schools of pogies with a bow and arrow w/ a rope attached. Much less effective than treble hooks but it looked fun. I do plan on using it as striper bait but I will get the occasional blue fish which normally tastes awful but it can be great it it's battered and fried correctly.

Legal scup size is 10.5" now.

Pogies can be sporatic to target,Its also illegal to set a bait net in the harbor were they are so easy to spot.This dosnt rule out rod &reel pogyin'.Because there was an almost season long run a of mackeral last season & a shortage of herring.The herring trawlers area was closed alot last season, herring that was comming in gets grabbed up by lobstermen & the food grade herring goes overseas(frozen & shipped in flats,primarily to Eygpt.) This makes buying bait expensive last year.most guys were runnin' live Macs.Jig up Live Mackeral, "Liveys" on a baitrunner reel,quarrented results!
If mackerals or pogies arnt' present retrive Herring or Macs from your designated bait freezer,thaw & mince in the "Chum Churn".

Back
Top Bottom